Green vs Seasoned Wood Price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan A

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you charge less for green wood vs seasoned wood?

I know that it will depend on the market/area as well as demand. Case
In point, the past two cords I sold were green, one mixed hardwoods for $150 and the second cord ,Ash for $150 and both customers wanted the wood for this summer/next season. I priced them cheap because the cords were freshly split and needed to season. Too cheap?

Attachments

• IMG_9369.JPG
    IMG_9369.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
People I have heard hear in the Ozarks swear green ash burns as well as dried! With the time between buying and burning you could have gotten more for the Ash IMHO

I'm kind of kicking myself but learn as you go. It was a 19 mile delivery one way and the guy didn't even tip after I delivered and unloaded. I'm thinking that wasn't the most efficient use of my time if I can get more money from someone much closer. Thanks for your input.

You have the same amount of labor and time in the wood regardless of when you sell it. Unless you were hurting for the cash, did not have the room to store it for 6-9 months, etc... why not sell it for more if you could. If someone called me right now and wanted our freshly split wood it would be the same price now as it would be next November.

You have the same amount of labor and time in the wood regardless of when you sell it. Unless you were hurting for the cash, did not have the room to store it for 6-9 months, etc... why not sell it for more if you could. If someone called me right now and wanted our freshly split wood it would be the same price now as it would be next November.
Agreed

I'm about out of seasoned wood for this year. All my regular customers are set, especially since it's been unseasonably warm. I have one cord of Red Oak and one cord of Black Locust ready that is kind of a hold back for customers who underestimated their needs. Otherwise, I am more than half through processing and stacking next season's supply. That said, I will certainly sell my last two ready cord before the end of February, and sure as I sit here typing there will be someone who contacts me and will "need" wood after that. Once we clarify that all I have is not yet seasoned (it is long standing dead oak cut, split, stacked in the past 2 months), someone will practically beg me to sell, and I will. But, my price does not change. As others have mentioned, there is no less work invested, no fewer of my trees processed, to fulfill the order.

Not really. I think there's some efficiencies to be gained & work to be saved by selling green. Example - a conveyor off the splitter/processor right into a truck. Next stop is the customer. If you wanted to get the wood seasoned before it gets to the customer, there would be another reloading step in there somewhere, and maybe some handling to get it into a stack/pile so it could dry. So it's not just throwing drying/waiting time at it, there's usually more handling involved too.

That's not even getting into the aspect of added value to the customer.

Not really. I think there's some efficiencies to be gained & work to be saved by selling green. Example - a conveyor off the splitter/processor right into a truck. Next stop is the customer. If you wanted to get the wood seasoned before it gets to the customer, there would be another reloading step in there somewhere, and maybe some handling to get it into a stack/pile so it could dry. So it's not just throwing drying/waiting time at it, there's usually more handling involved too.

That's not even getting into the aspect of added value to the customer.
I agree with this. By all means try to get full price for quality wood but I'd give a slight discount to be able to move wood with fewer steps involved.

The only difference is in price would be if I split right into the delivery vehicle (theirs or mine). Delivery is no longer free any more. If I have to stack it into my totes and store it, that's worth a little more, but otherwise the wood value is the same, IMO. Only discounts I give are for not splitting, being a repeat buyer or buying more product. Period. This is not easy work we do. Really the wood I sell is a by-product of what I keep for heating the homestead. So, I'd just as soon sit on it as sell it.

I'll sell green wood for $25 less than seasoned, for me it's the same work. I'm not big on selling my firewood for less than full price.

Sell it for less once and they will keep coming back and want it for less. 1st it's green wood for a little less, then it's green mixed hardwoods for even a little less, then it's green mixed hardwoods with gnarly and odds and ends thrown in for even a little less, then it's green mixed hardwoods and a bit of softwood in it for even a little more less. And it takes you the same amount of wood as seasoned hardwood. I sell by the load and whatever is on the load for $x.xx. Done. Of course this might explain my poor sales last Fall.
I would rather give a deal to someone who deserves it that someone who just wants (expects) a deal.

I don't sell green wood for less because it's still the same amount of work. If you had a processor and it was going right into a truck instead of on the ground I would offer a discount but that's not my set up. Get the most you can for it.

Latest posts

Back