Greenhorn alert, spiked my foot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some nice holes in my chainsaw trousers down by the ankles...gotten close on some narrow trunked trees but never through to where it matters.

Happy healing...pay attention!

i definately learned my lesson. It healed up fine with no problems, i got myself a new pair of climbing boots for christmas and back to climbing ropes in the basement

Occupational Hazard!

Neo, I too have spiked myself a couple of times, it seems pretty stupid each time it has happened. The first time was after about 12 years of climbing, there was this incredible windstorm where the wind was blowing around 65 mph, it had split a Bradford pear, part of the tree hit the roof, the rest was teetering.

I secured the split part of the trunk with a couple of chains, and climbed up. The wind hadn't subsided, and there was a danger of the rest to crash down on this home. I installed a zip line so that some of the wild ride would be dampened. This worked, but then I dropped a glove, it landed on the porches roof, I descended and hooked my foot when I re-entered the tree. Still wear the scar.

The second time was just a few weeks ago- lol! I was limb walking at the top of a tree. I needed to remove a long branch in 2 pieces, so I had to progress out. My tie in was almost level to my position, I wasn't out more than 12 feet when- the wind gusted, the branch that I was on was a large water sprout, it twisted over like a piece of paper in the wind, I went on "the ride for life", it wasn't that far to drop nor a violent swing, but it was a ride. My right leg deflected off the trunk into my left leg... Not a bad stab at all, just a reminder...

I have done actual stupid things as well- I once continued a climb when my hard hat took a tumble, the very next cut resulted in a clunk to my noggin.

Thankfully, I have been lucky to have learned from all of these postings, I haven't needed to learn the deadly mistakes myself. I just keep in my mind that this is the most dangerous profession around. I am more likely to be injured at this work than in any other field. The statistics show this clearly.

Unfortunately, there are always lessons to be learned in this business. Rushing is a no-no. I was doing some contract climbing for a green horn, first off he isn't a good climber, secondly he tends to rush, I was under pressure to complete a two day job in one day- I relented and climbed one more removal just before dark, I knew I would have to rush and I should have just come back, but instead I climbed. I made a mistake, I ended up choosing to take too much of a spar, I trusted that my groundie understood my instructions, and I didn't get out of the way, when the top came out.

The groundie was supposed to allow the rope to run, instead he pulled up the slack and held it, causing the top to cantilever on the face and swing backward thus driving the spar into my mouth. It hurt, it sheered off my front tooth, drove my upper teeth up, and my lower teeth down, painful. I had just mentioned that this could happen, if the top wasn't allowed to run...

This was and still is a painful and expensive mistake. The first lesson I had to relearn was that as a climber I must make the decision when not to climb as well as how to climb and get the project completed safely. The second lesson was DO NOT RUSH. Its just like the no running sign at the pool! This rule is to keep us safe.

In this business there are many occupational hazards. Be careful it is dangerous out there.

P.s. I only climb trees to be removed with spikes, (reason 1, it is unprofessional to climb with spikes on trees that will continue to live)
:greenchainsaw:

i agre.know what,they need to band deer from the woods when the deer are in rot i bet just about ever tree at some time has been spick up pitty bad by deer and look at how close to the ground that happins all those dang bugs . sorry just gets old hearing about how bad its for the tree.

ya i dont know how i missed my achilles but it did. I feel pretty dumb, i thought gaffs were a climbers best friend. My teacher is a 78 year old tree veteran, he use to outwork all of us young guns, but he came down with intestinal cancer, and our training sessions were cut short. He's still fighting it though, one hell of a guy, vietnam vet too.

vietnam ? or Korean vet..

Last edited:
I put one through my big toe onetime.

I had 9 trees to remove I believe (been a long time) and had about three pines close together. I was swinging from tree to tree to set lines in these tree so I didn't have to come all the way to the ground and start up one of the other trees. I kicked off and did a 180 and when I landed on the next tree my gaff punched through my right big toe. Bad thing was that those were the only three trees I could just get a line in and drop. The rest of them had to be pieced out. I didn't take off my boot to look. Had blood dripping out of my boot the rest of that day but I got paid. That was like the first or second year I was climbing. Learned a lesson on that deal and never repeated that mistake.

I will wear my spikes on the ground sometimes when I've got multiple removals and I don't want to take the time to remove them and put them back on between every tree. But I use pole gaffs on about 99% of my removals and they are too short to hit the ground.

vietnam ? or Korean vet..

There are quite a few Vietnam Vets that are of that age, even older. Pennsylvania just lost one the other day in congressman John Murtha. Don't forget John McCain.

Back on topic. I don't climb, but it appears that is imperative you all keep your gaffs sharp. That said, why don't you guys have your groundies remove the spikes when you're a foot or two off the ground ? Don't your groundies like you all ???? :biggrinbounce2:

Neo, sorry to hear about your injury. Glad you have healed up - but it could have been lots worse. Those gaff guards that SingleJack makes up look like a great idea. The guys from the local power company have them (look like a commercial item, made of tough plastic with a flat metal tip), tho' they don't have to climb many poles. They always use the bucket truck if there's enough room to get it in by the pole.

Thats a horrible injury very painful , it happened to me and like a fool I let mine get infected and when I couldn't take it anymore I went to the hospital only to find out that the infection was the least of my wound but the chip out of my ankle bone need to be operated on ... I lost three weeks from that and when I went back to work it took almost 6 months for the pain to go away , they are midevil and barberic tools , lol..

ouch thats terrible, the more i think about it the luckier i think i am that i didnt hit anything like my ankle, tendon, or artery

I wear my spikes especially on take downs but I do wear them when pruning as a "just in case". But back to the subject I've never spiked my self but I did spike my plastic gas can walking by it one time

Latest posts

Back