grinding .325 rmc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best angles, what size wheel.

I use an 1/8 inch wheel. Angle depends a little on what you are doing with it. By default I would recommend reproducing the angle it came with (probably 30).

Remember if you are spinning up loops of .325 you generally need a smaller anvil and take up handle than 3/8.

Last edited:
I use a 1/8 inch wheel. Angle depends a little on what you are doing with it. By default I would recommend reproducing the angle it came with (probably 30).

Remember if you are spinning up loops of .325 you generally need a smaller anvil and take up handle than 3/8.

+1 30/60 normally works and 1/8 wheel

Thanks for the info.

Another trick is to dress the bottom of the wheel flat and the left side of the wheel symetrical as only one side of the wheel and the bottom does the grinding.

The dressing stone that comes with the grinders are not good, so go visit your local tool and die maker and buy/trade a nice stone from him for that purpose. They have alot of them hanging around.

Tell him what your doing and he'll take an interest in what your trying to acomplish. You may even end up grinding his chains if he's got a saw.

Even if he offers the stone for free at least leave a 6pak of beer.
Gypo

Last edited:
Yea it's probably about time i do that, I've done a fair amount of sharpening and haven't dressed it.

Another trick is to dress the bottom of the wheel flat and the left side of the wheel symetrical as only one side of the wheel and the bottom does the grinding.

The dressing stone that comes with the grinders are not good, so go visit your local tool and die maker and buy/trade a nice stone from him for that purpose. They have alot of them hanging around.

Tell him what your doing and he'll take an interest in what your trying to acomplish. You may even end up grinding his chains if he's got a saw.

Even if he offers the stone for free at least leave a 6pak of beer.
Gypo

Thats not a trick thats good advice, for sure on lower profile chains. I've been grinding like that ever since I threw the manual away. Steve

Thats not a trick thats good advice, for sure on lower profile chains. I've been grinding like that ever since I threw the manual away. Steve
I sure like the 511A I think it is, grinder, but I've had it since 85'. It's a tool that evens out rocked cutters. I love to run a file across a fresh ground chain.
Gypo

Back