Grinding a stump than replacing with a new tree.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose IBEW

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a customer with a dead white oak in his front yard. This tree was a focal point of the yard and a flowerbed was built around it. Taking it down will not be at all difficult, the question lies in the stump removal. Has anyone had success in grinding a stump as deep as you can and planting a new tree in that same area? Removing with a backhoe is an option but grinding would keep things neater and have less of an impact on the area.

I will find out in a bit as to what species tree the homeowner has in mind for replacement. It is questionable in my mind as to whether the new tree will grow successfully as the old stump deteriorates and insect infestation from the rotting old stump could cause a threat to the new tree as I see it. Anybody's thoughts and experiences on this would be greatly appreciated.

We do it a lot. Have to grind out all of the stump and nearby roots as deep as needed so you're down to the dirt below the roots and haul all of the grindings out of there. We usually have to bring in new dirt to fill it back to the original level and replant.
You're right if you don't get all of the stump and roots out they will rot and sink over time and take nutrients away as they decay. Just makes me shake my head when I see somebody post that they just grind down a few inches and plant new grass or plants etc.
It's a lot of work and costs a lot of money to do it right but we don't have a problem getting it most times.

You may have to remove some of the bedding plants to get access.

Also, you may have to grind wide and deep early so the machine will ramp down through the bottom of the root crown to the dirt. You'll probably be doing a bunch of digging, so bid accordingly.

I have a customer with a dead white oak in his front yard. This tree was a focal point of the yard and a flowerbed was built around it. Taking it down will not be at all difficult, the question lies in the stump removal. Has anyone had success in grinding a stump as deep as you can and planting a new tree in that same area? Removing with a backhoe is an option but grinding would keep things neater and have less of an impact on the area.

I will find out in a bit as to what species tree the homeowner has in mind for replacement. It is questionable in my mind as to whether the new tree will grow successfully as the old stump deteriorates and insect infestation from the rotting old stump could cause a threat to the new tree as I see it. Anybody's thoughts and experiences on this would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with you, if replanting you will need to get all the stump when you grind. Hard to say without pics but we often need to grind out the whole planting bed, as it will be full of roots too. How big is the tree? What are you grinding with.

We use a sub for our stumps. He's 70+ years old and does a great job. He grinds every stump as if I was replanting. Lots of work but makes a nice level yard to finish off the job. For a 36 inch tree its common to grind a hole 8 foot across. 12-15 inches deep with rayco 1672 grinder.

I tell customers that the previous tree has taken nutrients out of the soil and they should wait a few years for everything to decompose and recondition the soil before replanting. I would definitely like a better education on the subject.

The tree is about 16" across 4' up. Total height I estimate to be 35-40'. It is definitely nothing giant but that does not mean that I want less than a quality job in the end.The homeowner has agreed to a thorough stump grinding and is not opposed to planting the new tree in another area of the flowerbed.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I tell customers that the previous tree has taken nutrients out of the soil and they should wait a few years for everything to decompose and recondition the soil before replanting. I would definitely like a better education on the subject.

Time to read the soils and nutrients sections of the ISA Certifcation manual, cause you are talking about subjects where obviously you have no knowledge.

In a natural situation, nutrients cycle through the ecosystem. Usually when we talk about nutrients in the soil we are talking about the nitrogen. In the urban environment, the largest loss of nutrients is through the overzealous gardening and cleaning of flower beds removing all the available organic matter. When planting in a an area where old stumps were ground, it is important to get all of the mulch out of the hole before replanting. Bring in extra soil if necessary. If you plant with too much mulch in the backfill, the soil will dry out quickly and the new tree will cook. When I replant trees in old grinding areas, I always amend the backfill soils with slow release fertilizer and bone meal.

Latest posts

Back