Grinding Stihl RM chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to the OP for pointing this out. I tend to use 58 / 30 / 0 on both RS and RM chain.

But I was never sure why Stihl decided we no longer needed to tilt the chain vise or add 10 degrees of up angle when filing by hand. It seems to not make much difference though, so I stopped doing it. I guess that may be the reason?
I thought that the reason was that they used to make cutters with a 10 degree tilt on the top plates and it seemed that if I didn't file them with a 10 degree tilt the inside of the top plate would be too blunt. Some folks think that it was to give the top plate a compound cutting angle. IDK
I go with what is recommended for the chain.

I thought perhaps the 10 degree tilt allowed the edge of the wheel (or file contour) to get under the point of the RS cutters a little better, putting a sharper point on them. But again, I never saw much difference when I stopped doing it. I grind most of my chain, and the point on the RS cutters will still open you up if you touch it.

Back