Grinding Wheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the more expensive grinding wheel from Baileys for the bench grinders? It is about 20x more expensive than the vitrified wheels but it says it will hold an edge without wearing down.

It is time to purchase replacement wheels and would like to know if anyone has any positive/negative feedback on this item.

Hi,

I see a few different wheels listed in Bailey's. Are you referring to the CBN wheels? This is basically a wheel that is made from electro-plate bonding CBN abrasive to a metal form. I can't speak for those specific wheels, but I do know the abrasives business. CBN is the next hardest man-made abrasive as compared to diamond, but is compatible with carbon steel. Actually, diamond is OK at slower speeds. Plated bond CBN wheels are used to grind tool steels, aerospace alloys, and medical alloys. Ever look inside a Drill Doctor? Same concept- a single layer of plated 'superabrasive'.

This type of wheel usually pays off quite well, but I would pay attention to whether or not the vendor recommends running a coolant. Also, this is not a wheel you will want to drop or hit with a hard object- the plated layer can be damaged or some of the grit can be shattered. Other than that, it is very durable in use and is a cost effective replacement for vit wheels- assuming your production merits the initial expense. Also, the performance advantage would probably be higher for the harder makes of chain.

If this type of wheel creates a burr and/or burn on the cutting edge, it may either be too coarse or may be dull. As mentioned, check into the coolant issue too. Also, grit size for grit size- this type of wheel will create a rougher finish. To match the finish of a vitrified wheel you may need a grit size or two finer in plated CBN.

If you try one, please post your impression- Just curious as it is 'files only' for this weekend warrior...

Back