GRRRRR stihl air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick5o

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The air filter on my 361C keeps getting blow by on the bottom. This is the 2nd air filter in a month. Anyone else having or seen this problem ? Any feedback is appreciated !!!

So does my MS362. With a acid brush you can lightly paint all the plastic engagement surfaces with bar oil or silicon grease and it'll help.

That sucks atleast it's a cheap fix. Can't say I've ever had that problem but I do have a question for you Stihl guys. I have a MS 290 in the garage I dont use much because it doesn't run right and never has. It'll run fine for the first tank or until you shut it off then it hates starting and has to run wide open if it even wants to run at all. The carb has been replaced and rebuilt 3 times any Idea's?

Those are good ideas, I'll try them right now. Anyone know of a factory or aftermarket replacement filter ? One that will make a better seal !

Those are good ideas, I'll try them right now. Anyone know of a factory or aftermarket replacement filter ? One that will make a better seal !

Nothing aftermarket exists. The filter element is often the cause along with the filter not sealing properly. If you're just getting really fine dust past the filter I wouldn't worry much about.

Nothing aftermarket exists. The filter element is often the cause along with the filter not sealing properly. If you're just getting really fine dust past the filter I wouldn't worry much about.

+1

I went rounds with Stihl a few years back with my 361 pulling dust past the filter, after 2 years of back and forth they gave me full retail for the saw and I went for the MS362. Don't get me wrong, I like the 362 more but I still was having a dust issue. After much correspondence with Stihl, techs looking at the saw, sending it to the regional facility for a complete teardown I was informed(in writing) that the fine dust that is passing the filter will not harm my saw. I was also told to leave the filter alone unless I have noticable power loss. I have used the grease method for sealing the filter to the carb box with limited success but anymore I just do as they say and leave the filter alone until it really needs cleaning. Good luck.

My 362 has very fine dust also going past the filter . I never thought of using vaseline thanks Grande dog.

The 361 has always had that filter issue. Some people really worry about it and other don't... I know of a 361 that has been running a 25" bar all its life in Aussie hardwood (really tough on filters) and after 10 years of cutting firewood its still going strong. The guys using it don't know the first thing about maintenance so the filter hardly gets any attention. So all i can suggest is run it till it dies (probably 20 years down the track) or upgrade to something with a HD filter. I can recommend the 261 - get it ported and it will run circles around your 361.

Howdy,
Stihl's response is correct if the dust getting by is wood dust. If there's aggregate dust mixed in with it, you'll have issues sooner than later.
Regards
Gregg

Even my 395xp with the heavy duty flocked filter has a little "fines" that get into the carb throat from time to time. It's an '01 model and takes about two guys to check cold compression! Like AS77 said, a little is ok. :D

That sucks atleast it's a cheap fix. Can't say I've ever had that problem but I do have a question for you Stihl guys. I have a MS 290 in the garage I dont use much because it doesn't run right and never has. It'll run fine for the first tank or until you shut it off then it hates starting and has to run wide open if it even wants to run at all. The carb has been replaced and rebuilt 3 times any Idea's?

Best thing to do is start a new thread and explain your issue in detail.

Are you screwing the air filter cover on too tight and thus pushing the center in further and the outer edge is lifting up?

Maybe try a small amount of red permatex high heat gasket maker, it's silicone. It bonds to pretty much anything as long as its good and clean. When your ready to change the filter it will peel right of like it was never there. Just a quick but affective fix. I've had to use it several times in pinches and it has never failed me. I even had to patch a pair of mud boots for concrete a time or two. Just a thought.

i use a thin coat of wheel bearing grease on the mating surfaces and i have never had any fine dust in the throat,, you know that just didn't sound right did it:D:D

+1

I went rounds with Stihl a few years back with my 361 pulling dust past the filter, after 2 years of back and forth they gave me full retail for the saw and I went for the MS362. Don't get me wrong, I like the 362 more but I still was having a dust issue. After much correspondence with Stihl, techs looking at the saw, sending it to the regional facility for a complete teardown I was informed(in writing) that the fine dust that is passing the filter will not harm my saw. I was also told to leave the filter alone unless I have noticable power loss. I have used the grease method for sealing the filter to the carb box with limited success but anymore I just do as they say and leave the filter alone until it really needs cleaning. Good luck.

This answers all my questions. After work tonight, all try plumbers tape around the entire flange.

This answers all my questions. After work tonight, all try plumbers tape around the entire flange.

That may work where the filter meets the carb but it won't stop the dust from pulling through the filter media. As was said earlier in this thread and also what Stihl told me was that as long as it is just wood "fines" the saw should be okay. If you are working in very dusty conditions or cutting dirty wood that would be something to be aware of.

Back