Guess what I got today! (Alpine Magnum)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this thread is still alive ? LOL....

I just dropped in to see if anyone has a good pic of the AM with the wheel kit as I want to make my own.

I see there is a similar unit here with a wheel kit, that gives me some ideas so that's cool. If anyone has the AM wheel kit post a pic of it mounted.

I also want to report how the last few months have gone for me and my alpine, so far so good. It is work, mostly lifting it up into the truck, mine is kinda tall being a flat bed dump. And running it ain't for a puss, they make out like it is so easy a girl can run it, but I feel otherwise. If you don't pay attention or are a little tired and have the cutters to low on the side of the stump it can and does shoot off into the air and try to find a new home, so you gota man handle it a bit.

But I have had my share of work. For the trees that I actually take down this thing is invaluable. I take out pines and ornamental with trunks under 12" diameter mostly, (I use a pole saw and don't climb or bucket) and I can get those stumps gone in well under 10 minutes... And I remove shrub rows and grind out the stumps instead of digging or pulling, each one a those is literally 2 to 3 minutes. So for me to take out the stump remains for a row of large 20 year old Junipers or Globe Arborvitae is a breeze, even if they are between the sidewalk and the house or on a hill. Don't get me started on hills... This thing can and does kick your ass on a steep hill, but I rarely work for under $100 per hour now even doing shrub work...

If my teeth are dull it is more work, but in the shrub game I am mostly grinding it into the dirt anyway, and I do get down 8" to totally obliterate the smaller stumps for replanting. A larger tree, say 15" will just be below grade about 8".

In my opinion you should not buy one of these things, unless you live 100 miles away from Indy...:buttkick:

what is the depth of grinding with this unit ?????

are you just grinding down to below the soil line ???

a lot of jobs i do ,, people want to re-plant another tree in th same spot......

if your just going down enough to plant grass,,, won't work for me !!!!

when i grind,, stumps gone,,,not just gnawed off at the top !!!

i could of use'd one of those on a few job,,, but for $4,000,,, i can buy a lot of shovels n pick axes...

We dig planting holes for Landscapers all the time. I did 12 planting holes today for 15 Gallon Palm trees in under 2 hours. The holes were approximatly 24" X 24" X 18" deep. Soil was solid clay and decomposed granite with baseball size rocks. Put on dull teeth and never broke or chipped a tooth.

On boxed trees we dig a 36" X 36" X 24" deep holes.

Like the SM1 you could have a piece of square tube welded onto your lower handle ,then the wheel setup slides over the square tube and can be removed while grinding....
Wow, this thread is still alive ? LOL....

I just dropped in to see if anyone has a good pic of the AM with the wheel kit as I want to make my own.

I see there is a similar unit here with a wheel kit, that gives me some ideas so that's cool. If anyone has the AM wheel kit post a pic of it mounted.

I also want to report how the last few months have gone for me and my alpine, so far so good. It is work, mostly lifting it up into the truck, mine is kinda tall being a flat bed dump. And running it ain't for a puss, they make out like it is so easy a girl can run it, but I feel otherwise. If you don't pay attention or are a little tired and have the cutters to low on the side of the stump it can and does shoot off into the air and try to find a new home, so you gota man handle it a bit.

But I have had my share of work. For the trees that I actually take down this thing is invaluable. I take out pines and ornamental with trunks under 12" diameter mostly, (I use a pole saw and don't climb or bucket) and I can get those stumps gone in well under 10 minutes... And I remove shrub rows and grind out the stumps instead of digging or pulling, each one a those is literally 2 to 3 minutes. So for me to take out the stump remains for a row of large 20 year old Junipers or Globe Arborvitae is a breeze, even if they are between the sidewalk and the house or on a hill. Don't get me started on hills... This thing can and does kick your ass on a steep hill, but I rarely work for under $100 per hour now even doing shrub work...

If my teeth are dull it is more work, but in the shrub game I am mostly grinding it into the dirt anyway, and I do get down 8" to totally obliterate the smaller stumps for replanting. A larger tree, say 15" will just be below grade about 8".

In my opinion you should not buy one of these things, unless you live 100 miles away from Indy...:buttkick:

Like the SM1 you could have a piece of square tube welded onto your lower handle ,then the wheel setup slides over the square tube and can be removed while grinding....

Good Advice, I think I will look into that, I may be able to make a "Clamp on" fixture for that 6" post that sticks out... I have an aluminum leg and I dont wana weld on it for my first attempt.

I will post pics when I do it.

here another one..

geoffmachines002.jpg

Given the Alpine comes from USA teeth are not cheap. The teeth look the same as the local (Australian) stumpmaster teeth so he maybe converted the head.

DSC01107.jpg

My stumpmaster does have the depth gauges like yours, but its great that you can change the whole cutting wheel in under a minute (keeping a spare wheel of sharp teeth makes life easier).

They can be a handful to use, my old unit needs new av mounts on the powerhead but they are over $200 here (insane) so am currently wearing heavy gloves to keep the vibes down. my advice is to avoid grinding downhill, its a killer.

Latest posts

Back