Gypo Goes to Hollywood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hit here, Wow, am I ever popular! Whew hew!
Yes Siree, Im on television! While logging White Oaks Park in Mississauga, CBC television showed up for footage of us doing wild things with chainsaws and log skidders. I felled and skidded 36,000 ft. of Oak and 50 cords of firewood in 8 full working days.
What a blast! I also made the Mississauga News boys.
Please, no autographs.
Larry the Logger.

Whoever can point out what is wrong with the above picture is a good feller. I'm so conceited, I even reply to my own thread first.
Gypo

Why is the back cut on two different planes? Does it have anything to do with the other tree growing smack up against it? It certainly isn't a standard flat back cut.

Baldo Logger,
i'll make some guesses from memory. knotch too small meaning it filled and broke the hinge before the tree landed= loss of controll and a limbing hazard, stump not flat and level, stump too high, feller forced a dull saw, photographer too close and in hazard zone, tree is most likely hung and will destroy much understory when removed. marty

I would have put the back cut a few inches higher than the undercut to allow it to slip off the stump. If you did that on a large redwood, you would split a large portion of the butt log.

Art Martin

yeah...art is right, you should have used a husky and your cut would have automatically have corrected itself - I hate to point it out but the tree is still hung up, LOL

BTW. you got happy about Susie coming over there didn't you...this is not like you John......:cool:

Ya Robert, there was a bit of fibre pull there, toothpicks for one and all. Actually the tree was felled by Bob, the Timber Terrorist.
He left in a dutchman, and his cuts were uneven, hence the fibre pull, however the butt didnt shatter. The picture is an action shot and the tree didnt hang up.
Heres Bob cleaning up the butt log.
Gypo

Is this the Bob that you said was your new "butt buddy" and favorite boss of all time? The guy who will make 4 times the amount you do on this job and does 1/4 the work. Well done, my friend!

Put the Spam avatar back. These others don't make it.

Back