H&W NEW Sister site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some observations:

Your site is good but seems to be very heavily focused on the tools (toys). Probably all of us on this forum appreciate nice equipment, it makes the work a pleasure. Most of your customers probably arent interested in the equipment. They are interested in having their logs processed into quality lumber at an affordable cost.

Ted

The WoodButcher said:
:clap: Hey everybody check out my newest web site. http://woodbutchernc.tripod.com/index.html Let me know what you think?

Nice site, really liked the cover you have over the mill. Did you do anything special on the posts before setting them? I'm looking at having to put up a cover/building in the next few months and have concerns about using rough cut posts. Nice operation you've got, you should be really proud of it.

kevin

Hi Kevin Thanks all

We put tar at the bottom of the post before planting them. When they are good and dry we will add a sealer. They Will out live me without a dought. I just got 10 logs yesterday and gonna be slicing them up today into 1" x 10" x 10' Customer wants 125 of'em.
Thanks
:cheers:

You got alot of work cut out for you. Nice set up.
Do you sharpen your own blades? how are you edging your boards.
What are you going to do with your saw dust and slab wood?

Also don't know if you have a fork lift. If so you might want to level out that skidway. Beats rolling logs up hill. Nice level dect to move your carrage back and fourth on .I see your saw dust comes out the same way you are loading and stacking on. All the better to level out that skid way. if you build it 3 to 4 feet away and use 4 by 4's as removable arms to roll over. leaves room for dust. maybe even put a small angle towards the mill. and use your knots you saw off as brakes your back will love you at the end of the day.
Love the chain fall you installed that is going to come in handy when the log falls off the other side, or as a log roller.

Last edited:
Hi Manual

No I don't sharpen my blades a guy about 2 hours away is doing them for me. As far as edging goes I only edge what I need, the rest I give away. Most of the time I only have 4 slabs and 4 flitches per log, then I'm down to the meat of the log anyway. I have a winch on the operators side of the mill that when installed it acts as a stop to keep the log from going all the way over the mill. Also it rolls them babys right up that ramp and my back loves to watch it go :deadhorse: The winch is a 2 1/2" steel pipe sleve in concrete in the ground about 3', then the winch is on a 2" pipe that slides into that. Works GREAT so far. As for saw dust I just level it out and one day that ground will be level. Soft but level :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks

The WoodButcher said:
We put tar at the bottom of the post before planting them. When they are good and dry we will add a sealer. They Will out live me without a dought.....
Thanks
:cheers:

Did you set the post in concrete (or sacrete) or just dig a post hole and tamp dirt around them? Also, (hate to ask a real stupid queston, but...) where'd you buy the tar? I'd thought about using diesel mixed with old motor oil but like your idea even better.

Kevin

Kevin. Ive always had good luck using asphalt based roofing tar which can be bought at wal-mart or lowes etc...

Answers

:cheers: Thanks DDM, I am just part time now, but hope to go full time asap. I operate a crane for a living and I am tired of that. flht01 The post are set in sacrete and I got roofing tar from a friend of mine that was working in the area.:cheers: Thanks

The WoodButcher said:
No I don't sharpen my blades a guy about 2 hours away is doing them for me. As far as edging goes I only edge what I need, the rest I give away. Most of the time I only have 4 slabs and 4 flitches per log, then I'm down to the meat of the log anyway. I have a winch on the operators side of the mill that when installed it acts as a stop to keep the log from going all the way over the mill. Also it rolls them babys right up that ramp and my back loves to watch it go :deadhorse: The winch is a 2 1/2" steel pipe sleve in concrete in the ground about 3', then the winch is on a 2" pipe that slides into that. Works GREAT so far. As for saw dust I just level it out and one day that ground will be level. Soft but level :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks
I did not see the winch in your pics. you have alot of thought in your set up.
wont be long intill that ground is level by the saw dust.

The WoodButcher said:
...The post are set in sacrete and I got roofing tar from a friend of mine that was working in the area.:cheers: Thanks

dustytools said:
Kevin. Ive always had good luck using asphalt based roofing tar which can be bought at wal-mart or lowes etc...

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking roofing tar but didn't know if you were using something that was able to soak in the wood. I'll certainly give it a try.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back