Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elittle

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, new member in northern CA. I started reading this site a lot over the last few weeks since CA is banning gas saws. I read a lot here to try and figure out what saws to buy before they are all gone! I've been on a gas engine shopping spree lately lol. I have only a few trees on my property, one is dying I think, that's another reason I'm here. Thanks.

Smart move stocking up on saws before they vanish. What models are you eyeing for your collection?

Smart move stocking up on saws before they vanish. What models are you eyeing for your collection?
I only have a few small trees, so I've got a stihl ms250, echo 4910, craftsman 8" pole saw, husqvarna 450 rancher that the plastic squeaks a lot, then I got a few of Chinese saws to play with. A holzfforma g255, garwinner 68cc 20" and a salem master 58cc 18". The 68cc saw was 125$ lol, so was the 58cc.
I saw a review of the salem master on YouTube and it out performed the husqvarna but who knows if it could do it for more than a few days. I got the rancher as a refurb for pretty cheap, I'm putting a 16" bar on it.
Way too many for the amount of trees I've got. I do use them for other stuff once in a while though.
Edit to add: the 68cc saw is actually 62cc, and it's for a friend.

with that law can you still buy used saws off like facebook, if u can it would not bother me so mutch, I would run my saw daily just to piss people off cause that is just dumb, here in a place like Iowa without gas or desiel stuff we could not do it cause farmers would do anything not to use electric

Welcome to the forum!

For occasional use on your small property, I'd look at something mid-sized like a Stihl MS261 or Echo CS-490. They balance power and value for most homeowner cutting needs. And don't forget essential safety gear like chaps, helmet, eye/ear protection, gloves, and good boots should be priority number one!

As far as chainsaws go, The new law in California only bans the sale of new gas powered chainsaws under 45cc. So as a Stihl dealer we can keep selling any Stihl saw from the MS 250 and above.
We can thank the firefighters for that as they said they won't fight fires with battery powered saws.

The law banning the sale of gas OPE equipment deals with any unit built after Jan. 1st 2024. So, we can still sell existing stocks of blowers, trimmer, pole saws, and kombi's. When we run out of those gas models it's battery powered.....
We can no longer get MS 170, MS 180, MS 194T, MS 201T, MS 211 (all under 45cc) as Pacific Stihl has sent out the last of those units build before Jan. 1st 2024. But we did stock up on those saws, and blowers, and trimmers, as did many other dealers in Cali, so we can sell them until we run out.... and we are running out fast.
The only gas trimmer that will be available in California will be the new FS 251. It will come with a metal blade so we can call it a brushcutter and not a trimmer. It's a 41.6cc monster that weighs 14.6 pounds.
Bottom line is not all gas chainsaws will be banned in Commiefornia....... at least not this year.

Latest posts

Back