Had a tree removed by a pro today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buildmyown

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
and the reason im posting it in here is because it will become firewood.

So of course I had to work from home today so I could watch this.

Back story this Pine was hit by lightning about 8 years ago and was starting to show signs of rot on the outside. Every wind storm it would worry me. So the time came and it had to go. The tree was rather large about 30 inches at breast height and my guess 100 feet tall (I was close measured out at 85 feet). With the power lines behind it and close to the house and me knowing my linitations I called a pro in. First they were going to limb it up as far as they could from the bucket and then blow the top out, but once the crew that was going to do the work today saw it they decided to drop it all in one shot. First they set a line up high using the bucket then a block on another tree and used the winch on the chipper to pull her over. They chipped all that the chipper could handle and left me all the logs. The kinda sad part is the tree was really solid and only had a little rot in it, but oh well its down now and really lets more light into that side of the yard and i think i will get about 2 cords out of it.

Here are some pics and a vid at the end of it going over.
The before its the pine that has the bucket nosed upto it.
PICT0500.jpg

PICT0498.jpg

Heres the notch cut
PICT0503.jpg

and what im left with you cant see some sections they are behind a car thats now parked there.
PICT0512.jpg

PICT0513.jpg

PICT0514.jpg

PICT0515.jpg

and here is the vid
Pine tree removal 3-22-11 :: PICT0504.mp4 video by arcdemo - Photobucket

Last edited:
buildmyown

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
I paid $600 for this tree to come down. Had several other estimates and this was the cheapest. This was also a friend of a friend deal. A few other estimates ranged from $800-$1200 and all of them I told them to leave the logs and chip what they could and I would do the rest of the cleanup.
Brakedown of the job
1 foreman
1 faller
3 groundsmen
1 bucket truck
1 dump w/ chipper
drop tree and chip all brush and remove chips leave logs.

Wood Doctor
Was This Tree Threatening Anything?

I help folks like you out. I come around afterwards and haul the biomass away for nothing. I use it all for firewood.

However, since this tree was "a piece of cake" and threatened no property, my price would have been about $300 to drop it. However, I do not live in Massachusetts.

Now, you can pay a stump grinder and other $200 to take it down flat. However, I'm not sure from these pictures why you wanted the tree cut down in the first place. What was the tree doing wrong?

buildmyown

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Hit by lightning 8 years ago and was starting to show rot about 20 or so feet up and was sheding its bark as well. Everyone I had look at it said it was probally gone or soft on the inside but to everyones surprise it was totally solid. Oh well.