Hairun (Chinese) cylinder and piston kit to suit Husqvarna 55-Good, Bad or Rubbish?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrah

Reaction score
After spending the last two year following the various thread on Arboristsite I've taken the plunge and signed up..... This is my first post.

To give myself something to do in the evening I recently bought two more Husqvarna saws to keep my 394XP company (I'm located in Western Australia).

The two saws in question are a Husqvarna 55 ($60) and a Husqvarna 340 ($40 paired with a chinese saw- Baumr AG which is badged for the Australian market).

I bought both Husqvarna saws knowing they needed work. The 55 had been straight fuelled (gased) so had a badly scored cylinder (90psi compression). The bloke I bought the 340 had recently put a 350 cylinder kit on it but it was also running bad (about 90psi compression).

To repair the 55 I bought a cheap chinese cylinder and piston kit on ebay (I've worked out from the stylised logo cast on the side that it's made by Hairun [www (dot) hairunmachine (dot) com].
View attachment 279877 When it arrived everything looked OK (for the price). However when I put the ring in the cylinder it looked to be slightly bound, so I gapped it to 0.2mm (0.8mm below the 1mm Husqvarna tolerance). Soaked the ring etc in 2 stroke oil and rebuilt the engine. Everything looks OK apart from compression....only 90psi with the throttle wide open! I've poured some two stroke oil down the plug hole and it rises to just shy of 120psi.

What I have noticed is that the rings aren't a nice shiny finish but look as if they've been oil hardened with no post treatment.

There was also a similar ring with the the box of spares that came with the 340, including the original Husqvarna piston and cylinder that don't look to bad.

I'm therefore wondering if I'm not getting a decent seal between the ring and the cylinder bore and ring and the ring groove and this maybe a indicative problem with these cheap kits (both me and the bloke who rebuilt the 340).:confused2:

To try and find out if this is the case I've splashed out on a Caber ring for the 55 that is winging it's way from the USA.

I know the basic answer is 'you get what you pay for' and the 55 kit is clearly not Nikasil lined. But as these saws aren't sexy XPs but run of the mill homeowners saws I couldn't justify in my mind shelling out for a decent cylinder/piston kit.

Anyway I await the arrival of the Caber ring and the possibility of either fixing the 55, the cylinder destroying the ring or the ring destroying the cylinder bore and me becoming more frustrated!:bang::bang:

Interestingly the Baumr AG also hadn't done much if any work (there was still powder coat on the bar rails) and the compression on this was just 120psi.

I'm therefore wondering if these cheap chinese kits and saws can only manage about 120psi before blow past occurs and to get a decent seal requires a decent bore finish (Nikasil etc) and decent rings.....Little bit of Newtonian logic there!

>>>So does anyone have any experience with these Hairun kits, is there something else I should be taking into consideration (including the 0.2mm gap)....any advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Rob

I have never used or had any dealings with the named brand But what i always do with any AM piston, or piston/ cylinder kit, is to replace the ring/s with Caber, & if they fit OK the wrist pin circlips with OEM. Some Chinese products seem OK, others are junk but I leaned the hard way not to use Chinese rings

baumr ag 62cc

I bort one of the baumr ag 62cc saws about 6years ago I bort it as a back up saw today the saw finaly let go inside. Also I have a husky 445 rancher so I took the 20 inch bar off the baumr ag saw to see if the oil holes line up on the 18 inch bar of the husky 445 the holes line up perfect and the bar nut holes line up as well its just the cut out grove in not as long but it will work. Ill throw away the baumr ag saw and just use the bar and spare chains on the husky.

Just my opinion.The 55 Husky is a Homeowner saw but built as close to a Pro saw as possible the Oiler isn't adjustable but if working right puts out enough oil as is.If the Hairun kit doesn't work out look into getting a Meteor kit for it.Rebuilt my 55 with one of the kits and it's pushing over 160 Pounds on the compression.with the Muffler Mod it's running pretty awesome.:rock:

Just my opinion.The 55 Husky is a Homeowner saw but built as close to a Pro saw as possible the Oiler isn't adjustable but if working right puts out enough oil as is.If the Hairun kit doesn't work out look into getting a Meteor kit for it.Rebuilt my 55 with one of the kits and it's pushing over 160 Pounds on the compression.with the Muffler Mod it's running pretty awesome.:rock:

The 55 never was a "homeowner" saw - it was a close to pro quality "rancher" saw, with a magnesium case - long before that expression involved the plastic cases that it does today.

Something sounds wrong here - I believe attention from the mods may be needed?

Niko, I don't see any rules being broken here. FYI, the "Baumr Ag" saw is the same basic chicom knockoff saw sold as a Stihl or Husky knockoff (sometimes represented as such :angry2:) around the world. It's just got a brand name down under (and is sold presumably legitimately there). The guys in the Aussie thread have a very bad taste for them, they tend to last a lifetime measured in minutes instead of years.

With luck, louie's bar will at least last a while on a "real" saw, and he'll get some value from the Commie saw.

Howdy,
We did some testing on these kits, and they just didn't cut the mustard compared to other AM kits out there in the same price range.
Regards
Gregg

Bottom line, if you want a cost effective kit that works and you want to source it locally (Australia) and has great backup, buy from Matt/MCW. ;)

Yeah, Baumr AG is an ebay saw brand here, been around for years now.
Heavy, underpowered and generally have carby problems. Interestingly from what I've heard they used to be pretty good with spares, but really aren't worth fixing.

Hairun makes great kits right out of the box. Most are available in either chrome or Nikasil. I have used about 12 of them without having to change anything.

Back