Hand saws for trail work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobinVirginia

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a volunteer trail overseer in the Shenandoah. Part of the job is removing the many blowdowns that occur on my 5+ miles of trails which I maintain. The largest has been 28" in dia. but usually are from 8"-18" in dia., and of course there are many that are smaller. Since my trails are in the designated "wilderness" areas of the Park, I am only allowed to use hand saws. Over the past couple years I've been using a pair of Corona 1" bypass pruners, a 13" Corona razor tooth and a 24" curved raker 4 tooth. I tried using a small folding Corona saw but it bent pretty quickly.

My 13" Corona is definately dull and needs replacing. I have to carry all my equipment with me (including a daypack with water, sandwich/snacks, wedges w/hatchett, first-aid kit, towel that can also be used as a sling under a log end) plus a McLeod for cleaning out the waterbars, both directions down and back up the trails.

I'm thinking about just using just one saw to save some weight, maybe a Silky Ibuki? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ibuki is a bit heavier you may like the Zubat better. you could also consider one of the larger folding saws like Bigboy. You have to be prudent when using a japanese saw, cut on the pull stroke and go easy on the push stroke, watch for binding, they will break if you are not reasonably careful.

The small hatchett is for drivng in my wedges if I need to keep the blowdowns from pinching the saw blades. I have carried an ax one time as I knew from a previous trip about a 8'' blowdown along a cliff where the tree was on the ground with it's side next to a rockledge.

There are gang boxes at the various entrances to the Park which are full of assorted tools, two-man saws, etc. There's about a 2,000 descent from the Skyline Drive to the bottom, 4 creek crossings numerous swimming holes and just below a cascade there is a huge swimming hole with a rope swing. Sometimes it only takes a single day, sometimes 3 days. I had over 110 blowdowns after Hurricane Isabel came through. It took a couple weeks to get it all cleaned up.

Bob-get a proper two bitted falling axe. Every day common "campground" axes are a poor compromise between splitting and falling. I have a old Walters black diamond that I bought at the flea market for $15. Between the two edges it is 13.25" the edges are both 3.5" and the thickest point (where the handle comes through) is 1.25" Just deadly, its amazing, huge chips it takes.That what they used to fall the old growth with, back when men were steel and towers were wood. Be safe.

Bob,
How often do you get up to the mountains to do trail maintenance?

I live in Va.Beach. I go up every 4-6 weeks. I've done a lot of backpacking over the past 30+ years and this is my way of "giving back" for the hard work others have done. In addition to the enjoyment of being in the woods, there are a couple extra benefits... 10-20% discounts at most outdoor shops, free entrance in the Park.

I also caretake 150+ acres with a mountain-top cabin off the grid(propane powered), river, 6/springs(gravity-fed water line), located about 25 miles south of the Shenandoah off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Bob,
That sounds like a sweel gig. If I were a single guy I would love to do that! What's your day job? Later, Roger.

I'm single, retired early, drove one of them "brown trucks" for 25 years. Now I stay busy volunteering, food kitchen, Alziemer's group, farm work, etc. There are also new hiking trails being built so there's plenty to keep me busy.

Bob,
Got any pics from your travels through the VA mountains?

I travel with my family to shenadoah and the blue ridge every summer, and sometimes fall and spring. At shenadoah we camp at Big meadows or loft mountain and at the blue ridge we camp at peaks of otter. Nice places. There is no substitute for a sharp axe. They were prefered in the old days over hand saws. I have a book that says a good axeman can keep up with a chainsawyer in felling 15 inch wood. I have a favorite tree at big meadows that looks like a moose it used to more before it started dying I will post a pic when we go there this summer.

Carry 2 bowsaw blades in with you and make a Swede saw on site,you can make the handles in about 30 minutes if youre picky, sooner for if you want, then a peice of p-cord for tension and youre buckin blowdown. And a two-bit axe is needed always for that type of work. :blob2:

I have to agree that a Bowsaw makes sense-I hate them for pruning but they do cut like mad. A Sugoi or Ibuki will cut great but notreally serve you well on the big stuff. My prescription would be, 1 GOOD Bowsaw with extra blade, 1 Silky-Sugoi, Zubat or Bigboy and 1 high quality , well sharpened Ax. With those three items you are up to the weight of a toy chainsaw but your gear will be much more easily packed and you won't need stinky fuel and lube to add to your burden.

Back