A Day Working in the Official Wilderness--Trail Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With "green" bar oil, maybe so. 'Course, those battery beasts aren't so powerful, so maybe hand tools still beat no saws at all? It would be interesting to see the paperwork for an experimental run with that setup. I can sort of see how it would have to be worded, but my legalese is shaky enough that I'm pretty sure I couldn't write the pioneering request up myself.

getting pic on sight

I have some pics of my wood furnace would like to post on thread was wondering if someone would tell me steps I need to go threw to get pics from email and attach sorry for any problems i caused.New to sight have had alot of help just wanted to help back thanks

pretty stupid rule... no chainsaws, making trail maintenance harder and more dangerous than it has to be.

betcha they'd have chainsaws running if a fire crew was coming thru...

Not so. When a fire is in the wilderness, it often is just monitored. Sometimes a crew is sent in but they use hand tools. I have a neighbor who sharpens crosscut saws for smokejumpers. The smokejumpers are often the initial attack on isolated fires in this region.

I believe there is a special course to go to to learn wilderness fire fighting techniques.

Wilderness is just the way it is.

It's just an absurd idea not to be able to run a chainsaw in a forest, if you ask me. But, I'm not the one setting rules there. The good thing about it is, you just have to keep up the old hardware and skills to use and maintain them. I mean, that's more than a hobby or a curiosity - you need to get things done too.

In older times, if a woodsman could get just the blade, he could make the wooden frame. They are still occasionally sold in the wood version, but more commonly in aluminum, break-down versions for backpackers, campers, hunters, etc. This is a photo of one the modern versions from the Internet.

I gather every man made their own frames. So did my grandfather too. He used to play the fiddle for living as a young man. I remember you could cut logs up to 20'' - 23'' with the saw he had. I've been looking for decent blades to make my own Hunger Fiddle, but so far I've found only tempered steel blades. You just can't file them, can you?

It's just an absurd idea not to be able to run a chainsaw in a forest, if you ask me. But, I'm not the one setting rules there. The good thing about it is, you just have to keep up the old hardware and skills to use and maintain them. I mean, that's more than a hobby or a curiosity - you need to get things done too.

I would like to see the forest have a dedicated chainsaw week so we could use them during a certain week.
It would be advertised, so those who don't want to hear such noise would know to stay out.

Unfortunately, there are too many wilderness purists, who will not compromise and would take it to court.

It is easier to pack a crosscut around, but it looks to me, to be easier to get one stuck in a log too. I'm not perfect in seeing the correct bind in each tree, so I'd be nervous about that.

It is easier to pack a crosscut around, but it looks to me, to be easier to get one stuck in a log too. I'm not perfect in seeing the correct bind in each tree, so I'd be nervous about that.

I took a USFS saw safety class for volunteer trail groups. Half was for chain saw users, half was for crosscut saw users. You could take either half or both. They gave me a little card to flash.

I'm sure that I picked up a few chain saw tips - can always learn something. But the crosscut saw was pretty new to me. Especially undercutting with those large saws. One of the things that I remember is how wedges can be used with both saws when bucking - not just to free them, but to prevent the bind. The manual was pretty good too - covers cutting with both types of saws.

Technology and Development at the Forest Service

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/sawyer/chain-saw-and-crosscut-saw-training-course-handbook.pdf

One of the nice things about the folding buck saw, like the one is the photo, is that (besides being a whole lot smaller and lighter to pack in) is that even if you do trash a blade, it's only like $5 for a new blade at a hardware store or home center. Maybe a bit more if you find really good ones like Samlock is referrring to.

Philbert

Wow. And people seem to think that non-motorized saws are safe. I prefer to use The Barbie Saw, thankyou. Then one is more apt to cut more out just to be safe than if one were using a crosscut. That's my theory.

You have to be careful when underbucking, as things can go sideways pretty fast. Check this vid of a near faceoff.

Great video (tried to rep you for it, but system will not let me). I also like the 'Packwood Lake Trail Clearing' video that came up after that.

They both show how this can be really hard work; that all tools present certain risks; and that any time you are dealing with trees that big, you need to have some understanding of the forces involved and think it through first.

Thanks for posting that.

Philbert

To someone from the city packing in 4 miles to hear a chain saw would really upset them.

I understand most of us do not have that perspective. Jusr remember there are more of them than there are us. This is a good thing that they chose to live there & only visit the woods occassionally.

To someone from the city packing in 4 miles to hear a chain saw would really upset them.

I understand most of us do not have that perspective. Jusr remember there are more of them than there are us. This is a good thing that they chose to live there & only visit the woods occassionally.

Not so. There are FAR more of us than there are of them (Thank God). Unforutnately, they're also FAR better organized, and have more of "their" people in places of power. Boxer, et all.....

Nice pictures! Thank you.

I think a framed faller's hand saw (in my language it's called "hunger violin") could come handy in those conditions. It's operated by a single person and doesn't need much room around the cutting point. Is it familiar in North America?

lres_5551.thumbnail.jpg

Farmers hand saw, according a 87 year old farmer neighbor.

Mike

Invade is more like it... I live right next to a national forest. Really love the winter time. Other then the skiers when we get really good snow, it is rather absent of tree hugging city folk.

Mike

Latest posts

Back