Handsaw advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
It's pruning time again for me. Not trees, but 20,000 odd Blueberry bushes.

Canes getting snipped mostly range from 1.5-2.5 inches in dia. but there are some overlooked monsters here and there.

We use Corona Loppers traditionally, but I'm thinking of tossing a good pruning saw in the mix for the larger canes and the odd Sassafrass coming up in the rows.

I'd prefer something less than 18" OAL, and possibly a folder would do.
Just needs to be durable, reliable, fast, and will hold an edge well.

Cost is relative, as bending lopper handles ain't cheap, and having the saw in the pocket or saddlebag, beats going all the way back to the barn for the loppers or banging a chainsaw around on the quad.

What's the better saws to look at?

Thanks!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I would go to the sherril tree web site and look at the silky saws. any of them are great saws. Really any of those saws in that catalog are good I think that you will have to figure out what style you want.

Sounds like a folding one with a straight blade might be the way to go.

The straight blade gets into tighter spots (to make better cuts) on the small ornamental type pruning jobs... not that I'm a big fan of that type of work.

Thanks for all the replies!

I looked through the Silky saws, and a few others in the Sherril and Bailys Catalogs.

I'm definately gonna try one of the shorter folders with a straight narrow blade. The Silky "Pocket Boy" with fine teeth looks pretty good if it holds up.

On some Crowns there is very little to no clearence to get a set of Loppers into the mix for a cut, and this is where the saw would come in handy to attack from above, or an offset angle that can't be done with Loppers.

Indian springs-
I have looked at the Stihl Loppers, and they seem to be of good quality. Our Coronas are fine and hold up better than anything else out there on Blueberry Canes in Sand, it's just the Odd oversized(Too old and shoulda been snipped in previous years) Cane that is the problem, as is getting the loppers between tight growing canes at times.

Thanks again Guys!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I bought a couple Fiskar tools lately and have been impressed. I noticed that they have a small folding handsaw with a small caribiner built into the handle. I know it's a bit of gimmick, but might work for you. It's on their web site.

I bought a couple Fiskar tools lately and have been impressed. I noticed that they have a small folding handsaw with a small caribiner built into the handle. I know it's a bit of gimmick, but might work for you. It's on their web site.

Thanks man!

I'll look into 'em.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I dont know much about hand saws..I mostly do landscaping, but i have had alot of my customers asking for tree work recently, so ive been doing the small stuff that i can handle until i get alot more studying and experience in.. but anyhoo i bought a friskers 18inch with a D handle from homedepot for around 20 dollars.. I actually used it to fully cut down 2 Ceders with about a 12 inch dia trunk and it riped right threw them.. i was shocked at how great it cut.. used it on 2x4s and plywood yesterday cut like butter

I dont know much about hand saws..I mostly do landscaping, but i have had alot of my customers asking for tree work recently, so ive been doing the small stuff that i can handle until i get alot more studying and experience in.. but anyhoo i bought a friskers 18inch with a D handle from homedepot for around 20 dollars.. I actually used it to fully cut down 2 Ceders with about a 12 inch dia trunk and it riped right threw them.. i was shocked at how great it cut.. used it on 2x4s and plywood yesterday cut like butter

Lol.

Put on your flakjacket kiddo. Its gonna get warm around here real soon!

Ha ha, I'm a horticulturist/landscaper turned tree surgeon...! EXPOSED!!!
Really, jiggz...keep up the studying, and get yourself onto some training courses, and go hang out with a proper tree guy...until then stick to the small stuff, and sub out your tree work till you get more experience!

I tell you though having the background in l'scape will help the move to trees...especially if you got 'papers'...just know its a WHOLE different game as far as specific skills!

Good luck...it can be done:cheers::chainsaw:

Back