harbor freight chain grainder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adventurebob

monkeys and shakespeare, baby!
Reaction score
Ok, on a "cant go wrong" for $22 I bought a Hf grinder. After using it for about 10 chains, I have to say it worth exactly what I paid for it. My problem with it: The clamp wont hold the chain tight, you cant cut chain consistently side to side, pink wheels are crap. Can I complain? Not really, $22 makes complainin kinda tuff. Can I repeatedly make a sharp chain? Not really. Can you get a consistency between links on the same chain? Not really. The Grinder is also not adjustable for head angle so it is what it is.

Mine works perfectly too! The consistency is excelent by the eye, although I have to admit I never measured with a caliper. And the 60° presetting is the same that about all chains sold today are in. So for me nothing to complain about. Here is a video that might help you a little. BTW you can adjust the clamp.

Mine works ok, you probably are going to want something better if you are going to do many chains. I had to make some adjustments to mine before I could use it but it's not like you can expect Oregon grinder quality at Harbor Freight.

I had that model grinder set up for rakers. Did just fine until it died. Replaced it with the 'updated' model from HF for like $29. Works great!

I used the HF grinder and did not like it at all. There was too much movement in the head tilt and could not hold the chain tight even with adjusting it. If you are the kind that is a perfectionist and likes to keep everything even, I would not recommend this grinder. For $30, you really can't complain. I just upgraded to an Oregon 511ax and could not be happier. I might look into getting some CBN wheels.

I used the HF grinder and did not like it at all. There was too much movement in the head tilt and could not hold the chain tight even with adjusting it. If you are the kind that is a perfectionist and likes to keep everything even, I would not recommend this grinder. For $30, you really can't complain. I just upgraded to an Oregon 511ax and could not be happier. I might look into getting some CBN wheels.

Edge & Engine has those wheels. Got mine there and they work great! Be sure to get a few aluminum oxide bars to keep the wheel clean, too.

I threw mine away too.

When measuring with a caliper, I found the accuracy was very poor. It probably did a better job than eyeballing; it didn't do better job than the handheld rigs (Grandberg, etc.)

I ended up with a Chicom Oregon copy - which isn't perfect, but better than anything else I have for the combination of speed + accuracy. The best handheld I have is the Timberline, which generally works well, but I'm still learning how to use it to cut exactly what I want.

I can get an Ok sharp with this grinder but there is entirely too much slop to be consistent. No matter what you adjust on the clamp, it does not consistently hold chain. Again for less than $30 it worked and I have learned a bunch about what I like in a grinder and what I don't. While it wasn't an entire waste of money, folks should be aware that youre not going to get "new" chain sharp form a HF grinder.

Edge & Engine has those wheels. Got mine there and they work great! Be sure to get a few aluminum oxide bars to keep the wheel clean, too.

Where do you get the oxide bars? How long do these type of wheels last? It looks like just the outer edge is designed to do the grinding.

I just bought a second HF grinder. I haven't even opened the box yet. Maybe my expectations are lower than other's. I hope to set this second one up for rakers.

Anyone who sells the wheels should also sell the dressing stones - I assume E&E does. Bailey's carries them. Also machine tool supply places like Enco or MSC.

Philbert

I don't think E&E does unless I just overlooked them. On the wheels from E&E, what kind of grit are they?

How often does the cbn wheels need to be cleaned? Once every chain or just when you notice junk start to build up? I know these wheels run cooler but is it still possible to burn the cutters with the CBN wheels? How long will one wheel last? And why isn't the whole wheel made to grind? Does it never were down?

And why isn't the whole wheel made to grind?

I haven't used one of these (yet!). The better ones have received very good reviews here on A.S. - I personally have not been able to justify the costs for what I do. I will let the others comment on life, cleaning, brands, etc.

But they are formed from a metal disc and coated with abrasive grit: you can choose the type of abrasive grit, the size of the grit, and the profile of the edge, depending on whom you buy the discs from (pre-made or custom). Diamond is only used for carbide cutters. CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) for steel cutters.

They are only coated on the rim because that is the part of the wheel you are supposed to grind with.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back