Hardwoods in Alberta

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxclaro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,I just found and joined the site.Reason I'm here is,I moved to Alberta from Ontario about a year and a half ago.There seem to be no native hardwoods here,and wonder if one could plant tree's like white and red oak,walnut and sugar maple.If so,I would like to get a fair number of these trees to plant in a plot of some sort.The area is near Edmonton,soil is usually dark and rich.Do you guys think this would work?I really miss the Ontario hardwoods,especially in the fall.

In the past eastern hardwoods were a no grow proposition-it is too cold in the winter, and too dry come summer. Maybe climate warming will change all that.There are a lot of native hardwoods in Alberta-though they tend to be softer than those found east eg birch, poplars etc, nor do they really grow very high either. Vegreville, that hotspot of Ukrainian culture and home of the biggest easter egg in the world is really too "prairie" to grow much in the way of tall trees like you are familiar with from back east. I would seek out a reputable garden centre and see what they suggest-I did grow birch and spruce in Edmonton with no problems. Or go to the library and get a book on trees of Canada and see what might grow there besides oil derricks and wheat! More later when I can check my book, I gotta go to work shortly.

Last edited:
xxclaro said:
Hi guys,I just found and joined the site.Reason I'm here is,I moved to Alberta from Ontario about a year and a half ago.There seem to be no native hardwoods here,and wonder if one could plant tree's like white and red oak,walnut and sugar maple.If so,I would like to get a fair number of these trees to plant in a plot of some sort.The area is near Edmonton,soil is usually dark and rich.Do you guys think this would work?I really miss the Ontario hardwoods,especially in the fall.

I'm a former Albertan myself, Edmonton was home. Hope you enjoy Alberta. Good Whitetail, Black bear, Rocky mountain sheep and goat, Elk, Moose hunting as well as bird hunting. Enjoy! :)

Kevin

Thanks guys,that was what I was afraid of.Although,this winter was quite mild,and last year pretty wet,so maybe things will change.And yes,the hunting is spectacular,and I guess that's a fair trade for not having as many really nice tree's.

From Wikipedia:

Edmonton's streets and parklands are also home to one of the largest remaining concentrations of healthy American Elm trees in the world, unaffected by Dutch Elm disease, which has wiped out vast numbers of such trees in eastern North America. Jack Pine, Lodgepole Pine, White Spruce, Blue Spruce, White Birch, Aspen, Green Ash, Basswood, various Poplars and Willows, and Manitoba Maple are also abundant; Bur Oak is increasingly popular. Introduced tree species include Norway Maple, Red Oak, Sugar Maple, Common Horse-chestnut, McIntosh Apple and Evans Cherry.

Latest posts

Back