Hardy H4 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamcreasy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm new to the site as a member but have been using all the great posts on here as a resource for a little while now. I've purchased a new home that came with a Hardy H4 wood burner that appears to have been manufactured in 2000. I fired it up for the first time a week or so ago, other than water dripping down the back from the top for the first day everything appears to be working just fine. The previous owner has a black line marked on the condenser tank about an inch above the refill pipe inside. It seems like the water is going down quickly and needing refilled back to that line about every 3-4 days. There is no water on the ground or visible anywhere, however, i'm noticing quite a bit of steam coming from around the smoke stack as seen here:

5z56gH4SqJrplAsNeLyTnq_F-ONdMvkEW7fL6_OTKiliOCKHvUdH23nCGXG6-ObyxEd3-TF-SxDaWexzL6hKienuoI_zif7oLMSgVW1G4YhXDKeYoyIqq2gPPR_sLvZS73UcPCARjM9bXzVUThwWA1jbWtrRanILX7dEkkzjvEb3AUL-mgujOadX3hCa7zfrvXDabf0hwwtMT6FT4QSYDN6VQp6QNk8SxCnvjK_-ANc-xwoUg3P6dW7eP2EFmjeDroiQHbHQVi_FUvXEieF6vMZYeqREX4d153Gu_cmohGhtjQSJxYHjlHNlP92MnCuE9ayUtPoljNplhEfye9V4TBs9AUamsHTXqcChFV-l352Xl6-PJIR7lPH-r6v2FBMPnh5EUyg6oXEzh_5Q6U22MP_1gu34y5uxxY7SpHzinrr_hWWsy1I00yeG-A_XU7NfN5UN6BsvUXO1w01TmUW7NbvZlBtVT3srjFqYi3NXMiKmjUfz7j2FoxAClhCgOPZKPTRSdqHY9QNtHrmZNX0pPdmpJf2l23gYIZKm2ydGdT2xc3widkDEL3TNwEghVcguFjDFNU1ZMVQyKOe__svf_wgTNsPGju87C0vqXLOwIR8nDzAm0N2n7tUIMqjDZSN4jSUxsFfOxqHjCEfBjEkdtklge2eIILNgy7czzixwaqg6sGuLOK5LBxU=w2100-h1574-no

I've sealed the outermost gap but the steam seems to be coming from the inner gap. Can this be sealed also since the stove pipe goes down inside?

I've checked all my door seals, blower lid, cleanout lid. I changed out the aquastat since the incorrect one was installed by the owner and I turned the water temp down to 165.

Is this steam an issue or is this normal for running the boiler when it's this warm outside. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before winter. I'm trying to get a local dealer out to once over everything.

Adam

Hi Adam I’ve owned a H4 for 7 or 8 years now. Mine has a little steam coming around the smoke stack also it has since it’s been new I’ve always thought it was condensation running down the condenser stack inside the outer shell and turned to steam when it gathered around the smoke stack. Mine has a auto refill on it but the float has went bad a couple times and I have to add water a couple times a week until I replaced the float. I turned my thermostat down from 175 deg F to 165 the first winter I just thought that might be a little to hot. I’m sure it’s not a bad idea to get a Hardy dealer out to check it. It could possibly have a crack in it causing a water leak but it sounds like it’s working like it’s supposed to. Good luck with it

Thanks for your reply, that eases my mind a lot. I'm having a heck of a time getting a hardy dealer close to me to come out so until then i'll just keep it full of water and keep it burning!

Latest posts

Back