Has anyone ever froze?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys. im still around on the site....reading and whatnot....and appreciate all the very helpful words. as for the written warnings ive not even had time to accumulate a 2 written warnings. ive only been around for 10 months and have not had a hiccup in the past. the biggest tree ive done is roughly 60 feet, so i asked if i could do a 70 and an 80 before attempting a 90 and was told the tree i was tasked with that day was something that was doable with 12 months experience. i said no other apprentice would be given a tree like that and expected to perform and due to the way my contract is worded im not a utility arbo apprentice, im a "tree climber". the language pertaining to the issue is vague and simply states someone that climbs trees for pruning and removal.

yes i have asked for help from the union, but we examined the contracts language and it states im not an apprentice or a trainee, thus the discretion is on my boss as to who he wants to send up. for the record i was getting hours toward my apprenticeship, but until the next negotiations the foresters wont be getting trade status........so i cant argue the fact that im an apprentice.
the union is now trying to get me a job in another dept. this is a temporary solution because i am researching new companies to apply to. the only problem is that alot of companies do tree work around lines but dont have the signing authority to sign off my hours that i worked for them.

You are an apprentice, well than you need to talk to the president or your B.A and explain the situation and let them asess your responsiblities

the only time i ever froze up i was 20 years old and my boss asked me to climb an 80' silo and climb another 8' onto a pipe and scoot out between 2 silos and work on a diverter valve no harness. I was scared of hights when i went up and froze up setting on a 8" pipe 88' in the air nothing between me and the ground but air. I set there and thought I needed the job so I had to get it done. Well i conquered my fear and finished up only to have him tell me he could not believe i done that he could not even get in a lift or a ladder aver 12' , and i could have been killed all because i wanted to do a good job and this jack leg could have cared less.
now i climb with spurs on removals and i dont on trim jobs and i try to do all limb walking with out spurs. dont get killed for job or money, that said i stihl some times worry about swinging back into a tree or sharp limb and i admit it some times slows me down. but my usual problem is becoming to complacent and enjoying my self to much and working to fast. DONT DO ANY THING YOUR NOT COMFORTABLE WITH BUT ALSO REMEMBER TO ONLY LOOK AT REAL RISK AND NOT IMAGINE THINGS THAT ARE BEYOND YOUR CONTROL

Latest posts

Back