Has anyone successfully built a small firewood kiln?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy607

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve made a couple half assed attempts, both failures.

Possible to use hot air?
Location of vents and fans and sizes?
Did you use a commercial control panel? Where did you purchase?
Successfully heat treating to meet USDA standards?

Is the basic premise to heat the kiln chamber to a high humidity level, vent, and repeat?

I’m looking to dry and heat treat 3 cords at a time.

Thanks for any help.

Handful of guys have done solar kilns for personnel firewood on a different site. I'd like to try a carport on a concrete slab with clear corrugated plastic sheeting on the roof and walls. Venting would be trial and error. Guessing a cheap greenhouse kit would work well also.

What I have seen work well, but probably not for every one. A shipping container will do it. All that needs to be done is set the container in a sunny spot and fill with wood. A solar powered fan will complete the job. The high desert which is about fifteen miles away about an hour and half haul will reach 105 to 110 F during the warmer months. It does not take much for the inner temps to reach the needed 160 F. To bring wood in to California the wood need to be treated to take wood out of California would be ridiculous dumb. Thanks

Is the internal temp of 160*F what is required to kill the bugs? I think that could be done using a combination of a solar kiln and a solar hot water heater. I have seen solar water heaters reach 180F pretty easy in the summer. I haven't thought this all the way thru, but if one placed a hot water heat exchanger in the bottom of their kiln and a solar fan to circulate the air, it might be all that's needed to dry the wood and sterilize the bugs as well. It might cost a little to build, but once built, the sun would be the only expense you would have.

What I have seen work well, but probably not for every one. A shipping container will do it. All that needs to be done is set the container in a sunny spot and fill with wood. A solar powered fan will complete the job. The high desert which is about fifteen miles away about an hour and half haul will reach 105 to 110 F during the warmer months. It does not take much for the inner temps to reach the needed 160 F. To bring wood in to California the wood need to be treated to take wood out of California would be ridiculous dumb. Thanks
I’m in NE Pennsylvania, more rainy overcast days than sunny

Is the internal temp of 160*F what is required to kill the bugs? I think that could be done using a combination of a solar kiln and a solar hot water heater. I have seen solar water heaters reach 180F pretty easy in the summer. I haven't thought this all the way thru, but if one placed a hot water heat exchanger in the bottom of their kiln and a solar fan to circulate the air, it might be all that's needed to dry the wood and sterilize the bugs as well. It might cost a little to build, but once built, the sun would be the only expense you would have.

Mudd I think you are a little lost on this one. Do not feel bad because I am usually lost. I do not believe any one could come close to a Kiln for $2500.
Here you can buy a really nice 40' container for $2500. The ones that are a little beat up go for $1500 and then $1000 to move it to your location. If you have a sizable solar heater that can transfer 2000 BTU for let us say 8 hours a day then 6 or 9 days would have your wood cured. Here wood has to be certified for it to come through inspection. Any one who wants to ship out of California would not likely be able to make a penny. Wood going to or through Arizona has to be certified as an example. I know of several contractors that have 20' containers to store tools and gear in. If you were to go in them on a warm day I think a person would die in 30 seconds. Any body knows that you have to ventilate them for several minutes before going in them. They have small inspection door to start with as I think that is all you would need. If you have a solar radiator with a fan inside what else would one need. I think it would be helpful to have some 90 F days or add a solar furnace and you would be good to go. The 20' hold ten cords with room to spare. How could any body build any thing as cheap. Thanks

Back