Has anyone tried to "colortune" a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I played with one back in the '70s. I used it on a two-stroke enduro that could be run on the street. The two-stroke color has more bits of orange color than the 4-stroke engine.

Here's the problem with the device, it is difficult to see the color when there is a lot of light around. I had to go out at night and peek down under the tank to see the color of the burn. I first tried watching the color on a regular bulevard, but there were too many street lights. I then took it over near the airfield where there were no street lights - then I could see it quite well.

I went back to reading plugs.

I think a Works Connection tach is a better device for tuning. It can be attached to the saw so that it is always with you (and logs the run time). It is easy to tune WOT or in the cut, all you need to carry with you is a screwdriver.

Edit: I tried to remember what year that was and I think it was in 1972 - that's 40 years ago!

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/167155.htm youre welcome!

I dont suspect anyone would lug this thing out in the woods with them... but I could see it being used to set up an initial tune (noting max rpm achieved) and then later tuning back to that same rpm in different conditions.

Back