Have a question about stump grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postoak1968

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have decided against my better judgement to buy a stump grinder to use on my property. I have about 35 pine stumps
and probably a few other eventually left from clearing some land I purchased that joins my current property. I have read
everything I can get my hands on online about walk behind stump grinders and one question don't seem to be
answered anywhere I have looked online. Some grinders weigh 125, 250 and 300 plus, I hopefully wouldn't have any trouble
moving any of these around as I move 400 pound barrels daily. But my question is will weight be to my advantage as far as
vibration and shaking of the machine or is the lighter machine going to be better so it will be easier to maneuver around. I figured the lighter machine would vibrate my teeth out. Haven't ever ran one but from what I read I will be in for a workout. Anyway if anyone can give me some insight on this I would appreciate it.

thanks
Dave

How high are the stumps above ground? If they aren’t flush cut close to the ground, either rent or pay someone to come rip them out with a excavator.. or pay someone with a large grinder to grind them, they will get it done in 1/4 of the time it will take you depending on their machine. Small stumpers are made for pecker poles a lilac bushes haha walk behind stumpers most certainly are a ridiculous creation in my humble opinion too

How high are the stumps above ground? If they aren’t flush cut close to the ground, either rent or pay someone to come rip them out with a excavator.. or pay someone with a large grinder to grind them, they will get it done in 1/4 of the time it will take you depending on their machine. Small stumpers are made for pecker poles a lilac bushes haha walk behind stumpers most certainly are a ridiculous creation in my humble opinion too
about 8 inches thanks for the reply

Dave

Of course brother love to offer advise to people that are open too it. I’m a climber and operator for a production tree removal company. We have a few Vermeer sc-552 they are big and are monsters for stumps. Find someone with a similar sized machine and get a grinding quote, then find someone with a mid sized excavator, a mini excavator in my opinion won’t be efficient time wise, it would get the job done but would take a bit longer. Mid-size or bigger is the way to go. Anyways… find someone with an excavator and get a quote for popping all the stumps. Then chew over the professional grinding cost vs the excavator removal cost vs your time and frustration in grinding and removing grindings, plus cost of buying a relatively pointless walk behind baby grinder.

I’m not a genius by any means either but I grew up in a logging family and went a slightly different route as a climber and residential tree work. As well as I continue to stay humble and starve to always learn and better myself in my profession and all aspects of tree / chainsaw work. I think it’s key.

I can’t lie though it does feel good When I come to the same summation and solutions as people that have more experience than me. Those instances make me feel like I may be doing something right

I’m not a genius by any means either but I grew up in a logging family and went a slightly different route as a climber and residential tree work. As well as I continue to stay humble and starve to always learn and better myself in my profession and all aspects of tree / chainsaw work. I think it’s key.
Just remember, as my mentor used to say..."Don't get cocky boy, the trees don't give a **** how badass you think you are, and gravity works no matter what..."

Hello everyone,

I have decided against my better judgement to buy a stump grinder to use on my property. I have about 35 pine stumps
and probably a few other eventually left from clearing some land I purchased that joins my current property. I have read
everything I can get my hands on online about walk behind stump grinders and one question don't seem to be
answered anywhere I have looked online. Some grinders weigh 125, 250 and 300 plus, I hopefully wouldn't have any trouble
moving any of these around as I move 400 pound barrels daily. But my question is will weight be to my advantage as far as
vibration and shaking of the machine or is the lighter machine going to be better so it will be easier to maneuver around. I figured the lighter machine would vibrate my teeth out. Haven't ever ran one but from what I read I will be in for a workout. Anyway if anyone can give me some insight on this I would appreciate it.

thanks
Dave
I would never reccomend using one of those teeth jarring arm shaking bone rattling units for any length of time. I tried one once and said it is not for me. I picked up a used Rayco 65hp tow behind to handle the stumps on our property. It sounds like your best bet would be to hire someone to grind them down or excavate and remove them. If you grind them, you can spread the chips out. If you remove them, you will need to fill the holes in.

To answer the question - a heavier machine may be harder to lug about, but once in position it'll do the job quicker and more smoothly than a light one. It will also last longer, as it's not shaking itself to pieces. I only used one once, pretty heavy, and it did the job OK - it was hired for the day.

With only that number of stumps, what the other guys have said is good advice. I get a contractor in once a year with a 6-ton digger, specifically to dig out stumps. He'd have that lot out in a long weekend and the land graded too. Put them in a big pile and call it your Stumpery.

But I recognise the itch to buy a new tool - Machine Acquisition Disease - I suffer from it periodically, whenever there's cash in the bank... :cool:

To answer the question - a heavier machine may be harder to lug about, but once in position it'll do the job quicker and more smoothly than a light one. It will also last longer, as it's not shaking itself to pieces. I only used one once, pretty heavy, and it did the job OK - it was hired for the day.

With only that number of stumps, what the other guys have said is good advice. I get a contractor in once a year with a 6-ton digger, specifically to dig out stumps. He'd have that lot out in a long weekend and the land graded too. Put them in a big pile and call it your Stumpery.

But I recognise the itch to buy a new tool - Machine Acquisition Disease - I suffer from it periodically, whenever there's cash in the bank... :cool:
Dudders thanks for answering my question I do appreciate it I figured that was the case
but wasn't for sure.

Dave

Hello everyone,

thanks
Dave
Make sure the grinder is self propelled and the heavier the grinder, the less vibrations but always, keep the teeth as sharp as possible. 35 stumps? Should be able to grind them put in a half day if 8-10 inches. No problem.

Any ideas which grinders you're looking at?

Make sure the grinder is self propelled and the heavier the grinder, the less vibrations but always, keep the teeth as sharp as possible. 35 stumps? Should be able to grind them put in a half day if 8-10 inches. No problem.

Any ideas which grinders you're looking at?
I was looking at Dosco, Rayco, Blue bird but eveyone is saying not to do it so I guess I'll do
something different. Thanks for the reply

Dave

Latest posts

Back