Have a question about stump grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course brother love to offer advise to people that are open too it. I’m a climber and operator for a production tree removal company. We have a few Vermeer sc-552 they are big and are monsters for stumps. Find someone with a similar sized machine and get a grinding quote, then find someone with a mid sized excavator, a mini excavator in my opinion won’t be efficient time wise, it would get the job done but would take a bit longer. Mid-size or bigger is the way to go. Anyways… find someone with an excavator and get a quote for popping all the stumps. Then chew over the professional grinding cost vs the excavator removal cost vs your time and frustration in grinding and removing grindings, plus cost of buying a relatively pointless walk behind baby grinder.

How's come none of you bright guys recommended renting a good grinder for a day?

I can run down to the local Bandit dealer, pick up a damn good stump grinder for about $400 per day, and knock out an army of little 14" stumps. About 45hp, I don't remember the model number, but the hydraulic drive was reliable and strong, and the track drive was not at all likely to get stuck or roll over.

I'd guess it would do a 12" pine stump in less than 10 minutes, possibly only 2 or 3, depending how deep you want ground, and how many roots you chase.

I've even rented the machine for a good day's work, even though I already own a stump grinder. My little Rayco 1625 is ok, but not so good when you need more production.

@pdqdl i never suggested that just not knowing how familiar the OP is with equipment. It doesn’t take a genius to run a stumper but in the wrong hands a rental could potentially become costly, blowing pockets etc. that’s the only reason I suggested what I did

I never said anything about blowing the machine up, I get where your coming from though. I said blowing or throwing pockets, half a wheel with damaged teeth, broken pocket studs etc.. stuff gets expensive, especially if not covered via renters agreement, they aren’t going to be thrilled. Plus as I told the OP he’s got to value his time and energy to do the grinding as well. So he has options, like you suggested rent one, pay a grinding company, or an person with excavator to pop em

OP, which route did you go?
I have a walk behind and an 8-12 inch pine stump is a piece of cake. Cut it as low as possible and the longer the stump sits the easier it gets. I did about 50-60 last winter that were much bigger. Some 40 year old stuff. It’s a winter time chore for sure.

Read the rental agreement very carefully, though. Some rental companies will hold you liable for damage.

This is true. This of course, is why you would wish to be very careful with all equipment, not just your own.

Still… You will certainly be out 100% the expense of a new machine if you buy a new machine. If you just rent one and are careful, then you are only out the cost of the rental and perhaps a few teeth that get rocked or broken, and some fuel and transportation costs.

Most companies charge a 25% rental insurance fee anyway, so there isn't much risk of getting totally suckered on a rental. Myself, I consider that 25% rental insurance fee to be a total scam. That equipment is already insured by the rental yard! This is just another way to raise the rental fee. I beat that expense by having rental insurance coverage built into my general liability policy. I give the rental yard a certificate of insurance, and that saves 25% on any equipment rentals.

I have rented on of these 2 times in the last couple of years. In my area they run $250/day. Get it on Friday take back on Monday. As long as you don't have more than 8 hrs recorded on the machine they don't charge extra. I've ground 36" oak stumps with ease down at least 8" deep, you can go much deeper but it doesn't make sense to go much deeper.
grinder.JPG

I have rented on of these 2 times in the last couple of years. In my area they run $250/day. Get it on Friday take back on Monday. As long as you don't have more than 8 hrs recorded on the machine they don't charge extra. I've ground 36" oak stumps with ease down at least 8" deep, you can go much deeper but it doesn't make sense to go much deeper.
View attachment 1027576
It's the workhorse of the industry... probably the most versatile machine out there.

I have had a few vermeer 630 A and b's They are a tow behind machine but do a great job. Make sure it has a 37 HP wisc. motor. Can tow around with lawn tractor. Up this way you can get a good used for $1,500 to $3,00. Can use it for you project and sell for what you PAID FOR IT.

Latest posts

Back