Have I made a mistake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiloFrance

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I sold some saws. Lovely saws. My MS 261 c / 45cm, MS 390 / 64cm and my very old jonsered 2054 turbo. The 261 was getting untuneable and wasn't getting better...
I got them all cheapish, did some work on them and now have 750 euros to spend on a replacement.
Usage wise I probably cut something every week but not intensively. So what to get as a good 50cc single saw? (I have the 048 and a 150tc as well?
There's a husky 350 available, a bit further away an ms440 for 600e, or on the other end of the scale a brand new MS 261c-m for near 3x the price.
I already miss the modded muffler on the 390... Where do I go from here?

For me I find a MS440 to be an all around one saw plan saw. It will cut bigger trees, pulls a 25" bar and chain well and of course a short 16" bar can be used for any small stuff.
That sounds good. An 044 has just appeared at 350 euros. Too old? Photos look pretty good, and I know that 90min in a car for the lower 48 is nothing!
There's a supply chain problem here at the moment. My go-to shop had 2 saws, both 261CM./ Another I use had a 355Rancher husky and not much else, andd I'm happy (and getting happier) working on my own saws. All opinions gratefully received...

That sounds good. An 044 has just appeared at 350 euros. Too old? Photos look pretty good, and I know that 90min in a car for the lower 48 is nothing!
There's a supply chain problem here at the moment. My go-to shop had 2 saws, both 261CM./ Another I use had a 355Rancher husky and not much else, andd I'm happy (and getting happier) working on my own saws. All opinions gratefully received...
An 044 is quite similar to a 440, if everything checks out I'd say get it!

Around my area I can pick up 044 and MS440 chainsaws very often, they are very durable saws but when it comes to what I pay for them it depends on the condition of what I am getting. I buy them often, sometimes in numbers over a dozen at a time, a good one runs around $400. CDN and a mint one would be in the $800. range. Parts saws from $50. to $100. range as long as there is enough parts to warrant buying them. They are a saw that will hold value through the years and parts if ever necessary will not be difficult to find.

Around my area I can pick up 044 and MS440 chainsaws very often, they are very durable saws but when it comes to what I pay for them it depends on the condition of what I am getting. I buy them often, sometimes in numbers over a dozen at a time, a good one runs around $400. CDN and a mint one would be in the $800. range. Parts saws from $50. to $100. range as long as there is enough parts to warrant buying them. They are a saw that will hold value through the years and parts if ever necessary will not be difficult to find.
$800 cdn for a minty 440 Magnum made in Germany? Wow, I really suck- my boss gave me her husbands they brought over from Poland (in a suitcase) They cut about 30 Pine trees off their lot and never used it again. The Bar hasn't even a scuff on it. I use it solely for the big bar, then step down to the echo 590 20" for smaller and limbing.

So, did I make a mistake? As of 3pm I don't think I did, although there's still the basic strip down and checkup to do.
I was woken up with a coffee and a Weimaraner, which is always nice. Looked on LBC (our site for used everything and anything) and there was a MS 441, 18". I sent a message as fast as my sleepy fingers could move, and picked it up this afternoon.
So why do I think I did the right thing? The 2 saws I sold were 100€ each, plus about 200€ of parts. I sold them for 650€, so 250€ in the black. The 441 was advertised at 450€, which I happily paid. As far as my limited math goes that adds up to buying the MS 441 for 200€ and my time on the 390 and 251 that I sold, and I learned a heck of a lot doing it.
I'll take that. Thanks for all the replies and advice/opinions. Happy camper here.

Last question for the moment (probably) on this thread... Them whats gots a 044/440/441. I've just taken the chain and bar off and the burrs are horrendous. I'm looking at decent aftermarket stuff that won't cost a fortune, so 25" is a given, but for the smaller side, 15", 16" or 18" ? (Thats 37cm, 40cm or 45cm to us over on this side)

Latest posts

Back