have stump grinder, will travel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally Stumped

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anybody need the services of a good stump grinder? I'm a one-man show with a Rayco RG1631 and a smaller handlebar machine so I'm set up for the residential stuff. The 1631 will tackle the occasional monster stump. Fully insured but I'd have to rework the policy if I moved out of Texas.
Work is OK here, could be better. Actually, I'd like to go where the scenery is a little better-Texas Hill Country, Colorado, N. New Mex, etc. Would prefer to speak/hear English on a jobsite but not mandatory.
Check out my website: www.totallystumpedgrinding.com

How is your 1631 working? I have 1625a that I am thinking of trading up to the 1631 for a little more power. I am not sure of the duability of the Briggs motor vs. my current Kohler engine. Any other opinions or users of the Briggs 31 hp engine out there? Thanks.

Don't know about durability...yet. These gas engines take a beating (full rpm, stall, back to full rpm, lugging, etc.) so we will see how well it holds up this year. Replacement on the engine is around $1600+.
Honestly, for residential grinding, I wish I had an RG50 or super 50-same size as mine but a lot more power. There are some deals out there on used RG50's if you can pay cash or secure financing on an older piece of equipment.
I don't think the jump from a 1625 Super Jr. or Vermeer SC252 to an RG1631 is big enough to merit the extra $$$. Go for the RG50 and you have a little beast with a long lasting diesel spinning that wheel.
Rumor has it an RG90 will hit the streets in June-90hp, 35" wide, $45k. When this RG90 comes out, I expect the RG85 to drop like a rock in value so there might be some deals there. I'm going to end up with a used RG85, a 3/4 ton diesel Ford with a transfer tank in the bed to feed the beast, gooseneck trailer, etc. and get out of the residential grinding.
The RG1631 is just a stepping stone for me but I will keep the board posted on durability issues as the hour meter turns and I will post it in the equipment forum when I go to sell it.
Now I need someone on this forum to ask me why I stall or lug my grinder because they NEVER do...

Thanks for info, looking at a few used RG -50 and like the machine but price still hurdle for me as part-time operator right now. Maybe next year as biz and finance grow. Had a 1620 with 20hp kohler first and moved up to 1625 with the 25hp last year and the extra hp sped things up, figured the 31hp would be better still and I can buy it outright without financing. Hate the thought of that monthly payment. Now I am just unsure as to dependability of the briggs motor in this application. The Kohler in my opinion is tried and true, wish they had a similiar engine, the decision would be made already.

Back