Have you ever driven over your $500 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well did not back over my 660 but done somthing as stupid. I was so excited to get my brand spanking new saw in the trees that I reached over and grabbed the fuel jug and poured it full and filled the bar oil. Off to the tree I went. Cut real slow and stopped after 10 minutes to let things cool off due to not wanting to abuse my new toy. The new saw did not want to start so back to the dealer I went. After checking it out it had very low compression and the jug was scared. They checked the fuel and it had no color in it. Now that will make one ill. I went back and checked and I had used the gas that HAD NOT BEEN MIXED!! Stihl Hurts!!

Needless to say NO GAS IN THE EQUIPMENT TRAILER UNLESS IT IS MIXED!!

In the past I worked for a farmer who logs off his property in the winter. Fortunately, I learned from his mistakes. He had driven over one of his saws (probably more than one) and was constantly on me to set his saws up on a stump, or stone wall, or somewhere up off the ground when not in use. Now I find myself doing the same with my own saws.

:greenchainsaw:

I know a guy . . .

Few years back I started up some small talk with a guy buying a new saw at a shop. Said his father had driven his ATV over the rear handle of his STIHL 025 that he had set down in the trail. It would cost too much to repair.

I told him we had an MS 250 that had been damaged near the front by a falling log. He donated his saw, and now we have an MS 137.5 (250+25/2=137.5) 'Frankensaw'.

Philbert

I've ran over a few saws over the years. Let's see, I've crushed a 2100xp, a 288xp, an 044 (I know I'm missing something), and the latest was a 357xp.
One thing I've never done is run over a crappy saw, or one that was really giving me trouble, it's alway's the good one's that die young. :bang:

Andy

i jerked my new 361 off the back of the truck at about 50 mph on asphlt. suprisingly, only cracked the air filter cover and bent the handle. a couple weeks later i dropped a log off the front end loader of our cab john deere on it and finished off the cover, handle, and fuel tank. doh!

also, cruched a 660 with the very same front end loader. Them tanks arnt cheap!

its crazy how sloppy and lazy the majority of us were at 15 or 16 :dizzy: Learnd alot since then!

i jerked my new 361 off the back of the truck at about 50 mph on asphlt. suprisingly, only cracked the air filter cover and bent the handle. a couple weeks later i dropped a log off the front end loader of our cab john deere on it and finished off the cover, handle, and fuel tank. doh!

also, cruched a 660 with the very same front end loader. Them tanks arnt cheap!

its crazy how sloppy and lazy the majority of us were at 15 or 16 :dizzy: Learnd alot since then!

yep drop a tree on my dads lombard at that age

Not mine!!:clap::clap:

But I did have to replace one of those black Crappola Crapsman saws that belonged to the BIL once.

I gotta admit I shoulda looked to see where he put his saw, but then who in thier right mind leaves a saw.....nevermind.:taped:

I have been avoiding this thread.
Every time I toss the saw on top of a pile of wood in the back of the Chebby I get 9 kinds of paranoid. I just know the 372 is gonna fall out.

My shrink thinks I have a new phobia and is quite pleased with himself for the discovery and naming of it. "Sawcrunchaphobia".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Oh yeah.... I headed out with the JD350 to skid out some timber, and slid my nearly brand new 365 between the armrest and cage like I've done a zillion times. I backed in to get to the first hitch of trees, halfway up the tracks in mud, I jumped off to pull a choker off the hook and......CRAP!! my saw is gone!!! Somehow it bounced out without me seeing it. I looked up the trail, underneath and no sign of my saw. Finally I came to the conclusion it was under the track :cry: I pulled ahead and still did'nt see it! well a little diggin around, I found the bar still attached to the saw and pulled it out of the mud. After some brief sobbing and wipin the mud off, It did'nt have a mark on it!! Holy schmokes.. thank god for the mud! After coming out with a hitch of trees and the saw in my lap, like a newborn :laugh: I proceeded to make a scabbard that bolted to the inside of the cage...she's safe ridin now :D

In the past I worked for a farmer who logs off his property in the winter. Fortunately, I learned from his mistakes. He had driven over one of his saws (probably more than one) and was constantly on me to set his saws up on a stump, or stone wall, or somewhere up off the ground when not in use. Now I find myself doing the same with my own saws.

:greenchainsaw:

:agree2:

I Like to make a vertical cut in a stump then put the bar into it and dog it in, I use that stump as long as its convienent then cut another. Keeps the saw off the ground, its always in the same spot and it is easily visible because the powerhead is sticking up. :chainsaw:

I have dumped several tools out of loader buckets, no saws but plenty of chains, axes and shovels. The saw always rides in the cab with me saves all kinds of wondering when bouncing around, the 880 with a long bar and the door has to stay open for the bar to stick out but its better than running over a 1800 dollar saw :cheers:

When he needed to leave his saw un attended, my faller used to cut a slot in a standing tree and slide the bar through so the saw was 5 or 6 ft in the air. The Husky orange was real visable from the skidder then.
Ken

Latest posts

Back