Have You Ever Stolen Timber or Were Accused of It?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
At least half a dozen times. The stories about stealing timber aren't as exciting as the times we were wrongly accused of it. It's all about having the proper social skills.

Ok,ok, I gotta come clean. Just last week I speed lipped a cord of wood and a building log out of the neighbours easement. It wasn't as though I was trying to be descreet about it.
I just made amends though today by admitting to something I didn't do and by promising that I won't ever, ever do that again. Lol
Like they say, it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Ok,ok, I gotta come clean. Just last week I speed lipped a cord of wood and a building log out of the neighbours easement.
I just made amends though today by admitting to something I didn't do and by promising that I won't ever, ever do that again. Lol
Like they say, it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Good thing you did the timber trespass thing, otherwise you would have lost your shirt! Lol.

There was another time when I saw half a doz 5' red oak over the fence. The trucker/buyer said he he'd give me 25 hundred if I get them to the landing.
I went to tree owner and offered 1500. Next thing I know the cops are there.
The cop was pretty cool when he said,"how much is tree worth when it's not there?"

They sent the Mounties after you?
Yes, but in this case it was the Ontario Provincial Police , they slambed my head into a high stump and otherwise treated me good. Lol.
As punishent for petty crime the mounties would put you on the woodpile no matter what.

A friend of mine asked if he could cut a cord of fire wood from my place to help a needy old lady. I showed him a nice stand of tall hardwood timber with ease of access. About two weeks later, I went to see what he had cut. I was shocked of all the timber that had been cleared off in that span of time.
I contacted him, and he swore he only got a cord worth. He called back later, and told me the guy who helped him was the culprit, and that it wouldn't happen anymore. He caught him dead in the act of getting more wood. :chainsaw:

Another bush I was cutting in there was a bit of a curfuffle. The neighbour was certian I was over the line and cutting his ripe punkins.
Anyway he must have really worked himself up before he mustard the balls to confront me because when he verbaly attacked me he smelled like a sasquatch from his nervous sweat.
I calmly said the property stakes are right here sir.
He said, "Well you better show me buddy or I'm callin the cops!"
Once I showed him the stakes he came down like a barometer.
Next thing I knew I was over at his place with cold beer in hand making a deal on his timber, based souley upon my reputation, which I guess was good on or about that time.
After 30 years in the bush you begin to think you've heard it all. Lol

A friend of mine asked if he could cut a cord of fire wood from my place to help a needy old lady. I showed him a nice stand of tall hardwood timber with ease of access. About two weeks later, I went to see what he had cut. I was shocked of all the timber that had been cleared off in that span of time.
I contacted him, and he swore he only got a cord worth. He called back later, and told me the guy who helped him was the culprit, and that it wouldn't happen anymore. He caught him dead in the act of getting more wood. :chainsaw:
Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap! Lol

Nope, but have had logs and firewood stolen from me.
Most recent was almost 20 cords of logs this winter. "Well they were just sitting there"

I know a guy that cut a bunch of trees on what he felt was his land and it turned out to be a windbreak for a farmer's field... on the farmer's land. He ended up paying about $300 per tree.

One of my uncle's brothers (he is my Mom's sister's husband's brother, so I have no idea what if any relation there is?!) cuts wood for a living around Northern Maine and the surrounding Canadian area (he is Canadian). He got hammered HARD about 15 years ago for cutting about 100 feet over on a timber sale. It amounted to quite a bit of wood as it was something like a mile long tract, so 100ftx1 mile. It had been either marked wrong or the forester had given him wrong info on the cut area. (Sorry details are a bit fuzzy it's been a long time)
It worked out that even though he didn't willfully do it, tough crap. I can't remember the fine amount, but they went in and treated every stump like it had a perfect quality saw log and figured out the value that way.

Haven't done any Timber tresspass, but like bitz I've had plenty or experience with landowners guarding their lines.

They all were calm and mostly reasonable with the exception of one who said he would perforate both my equipment and person with a 44 if I so much as disturbed his leaves.

Two years later we cut his property as well. He said. "I'm not crazy and I have the court documents to prove it"

My buddy Carl is working on putting in a fence for a customer on an 80 acre piece of what will be farmland. It's all wooded as it hasn't been used in a long time. The land has been in the family for generations.
One side abuts to a fairly upscale subdivision.

The property was surveyed last fall, word was spread about the work that was going to be done. He had to get them to redo that section recently because some of the homeowners had removed the markers, or some even pulled them out and and moved them farther into the woods.

He is trying to "place nice" by leaving a bit of a buffer between the fence row and their yards, even though the property line in many spots is 5-10ft on "their" lawn and even still it's caused some pissed off home owners.

I've gotten yelled at plenty of times. 'You better not step foot on this side' kind of thing. Ok buddy I won't. I like it when I get yelled at for cutting what I'm supposed to be, but since the neighbors have lived there forever they think its their land.

There are certain people to be aware of when purchasing standing timber. Lawyers, accountants and farmers are the best. Teachers and realestate agents are worstest
Once a realestate agent sold me 100 cords of gloried firewood, mostly ironwood with maybe 1500 ft of saw timber thrown in.
Anyway the limp wristed mofo stole my F600 with three cords of ironwood on it. Then he shows up at my place and says he's called his lawyer, the forestry, the agriculture dept and who ever else.
So I told ******** how fast I was gonna get my truck back.
Luckily the cops sorted it out.
Turns out he was pissed because I gave the neighbor 7500 for his timber and he only got 1200 for his firewood.
I so wanted to punch realestate dude in the forehead. Lol

Not theft but some trespass involved'
I went to work for a little outfit up by Startup WA. I had recently been layed off by the company trucking these guys logs and they put them on to me.
It was a small private parcel essentially on the side of a cliff and they were having problems. All the neighbors hated us. They considered this little patch of timber their private nature retreat and we were ruining their park.
We came around into this one corner and I noticed their were about 20 pretty good trees standing inside the line. I asked the owner what the story was and he told me to fall them if I could. I cut them all no problem an we yarded them except for this one hemlock that was right in the corner and leaned back pretty heavy. It was at the top of the hill and pretty flat behind. All I could see back there was a sea of blackberries. I thought hey we'll just dump it back, hook onto it and jerk it out, nobody the wiser.
Well, it turned out that sea of blackberries had a driveway running through it and the top broke out right in the driveway. We were back there trying to clean it up when out drives this lady with her about 12 year old son. Boy did they light into me. I thought I showed a lot of restraint. It is pretty hard to bite your tongue when a twelve year old is chewing on you. Finally I told the lady, what do you want me to do? I made a mistake , I'm trying to clean it up. What more can I do? She said her husband would hear about it and I guess have us all in the penitentiary.
Later that day he showed and hollered at us that the Sheriff was on his way and not to try and escape because he was blocking the road. I hollered back we would be there working if anyone wanted to climb down and talk to us. I told him to go around and talk to the owner who was loading logs.
Never saw the Sheriff or heard anymore about it but my ears burned for a few days.

I have another realestate story. I offered another agent 20,000 for some of the best timber I've seen. He simply said, I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.
So I buy his uncles wood, but the uncle dies mid cut, so I carry on till done.
Realestate dude was the executor of the estate and called me 4 times a day asking for the green.
I told him that every time he calls me I knock 1000 bucks off what's owning.
His Uncle was a great guy and I really wanted to pay him instead ofhis greedy nefew.
98% of my deals went well.
Thank god when I buy trees I seldom if ever use my own money. Lol

Not theft but some trespass involved'
I went to work for a little outfit up by Startup WA. I had recently been layed off by the company trucking these guys logs and they put them on to me.
It was a small private parcel essentially on the side of a cliff and they were having problems. All the neighbors hated us. They considered this little patch of timber their private nature retreat and we were ruining their park.
We came around into this one corner and I noticed their were about 20 pretty good trees standing inside the line. I asked the owner what the story was and he told me to fall them if I could. I cut them all no problem an we yarded them except for this one hemlock that was right in the corner and leaned back pretty heavy. It was at the top of the hill and pretty flat behind. All I could see back there was a sea of blackberries. I thought hey we'll just dump it back, hook onto it and jerk it out, nobody the wiser.
Well, it turned out that sea of blackberries had a driveway running through it and the top broke out right in the driveway. We were back there trying to clean it up when out drives this lady with her about 12 year old son. Boy did they light into me. I thought I showed a lot of restraint. It is pretty hard to bite your tongue when a twelve year old is chewing on you. Finally I told the lady, what do you want me to do? I made a mistake , I'm trying to clean it up. What more can I do? She said her husband would hear about it and I guess have us all in the penitentiary.
Later that day he showed and hollered at us that the Sheriff was on his way and not to try and escape because he was blocking the road. I hollered back we would be there working if anyone wanted to climb down and talk to us. I told him to go around and talk to the owner who was loading logs.
Never saw the Sheriff or heard anymore about it but my ears burned for a few days.
Funny how these things are just another part of our job. You handled that episode like a pro.

Before my property was pro surveyed,my neighbor took a few vedar along the old fenvelime on his side of the fenve to mill for his barn, after surveyed he lost 60 feet and i gained, he asked me about the trees he took earlier, i was not going to make a stink of it bexsuse he was a good guy,so jokingly i said i will trade em for the 60 feet of land .

Latest posts

Back