Heading south and hunting saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Well, our Michigan trip is over and I am riding in the backseat of the truck and searching CL on my computer. Do I need any saws? No way but it doesn't hurt to look does it?'

Found an interesting (like new) MS880 with 3 bars that seemed like at good deal at about 1.5K. Saw the usual Wild Things with an asking price of $125. Saw a couple MS460s, an 044, scads of the "throwaways", a non running pro-mac 10-10, a cooked Stihl 025 for $80, Saw a burning semi-truck near Indy. (Glad we were going south as the north lanes were completely blocked)

Saw this interesting saw for someone but not me: old chainsaw mccullock

Came across a collection of a saw, string trimmer and blower for $30 west of Nashville but it wasn't a you suck find so I'm not veering off course for it. Saw a non running Shinny for $50, the 029s for $300 and so forth.

I guess overall it just wasn't that exciting of a hunt. Is a used MS460 really selling for $800 or is that wishful thinking?

I saw an MS660 with three bars for $500 in Indiana but the pics looked to be a saw shop and it didn't all make sense to me. I strongly suspect no one is going to buy a saw like that for that price from this place... If that was a legit listing, then someone is going to get a "you suck" deal for sure.

Gas has been running around $3.30 on average for unleaded. Hopefully less in TN and GA.

My routing is Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Louisville, Bowling Green, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta and then home.

Happy New Year!

Well, our Michigan trip is over and I am riding in the backseat of the truck and searching CL on my computer. Do I need any saws? No way but it doesn't hurt to look does it?'

Found an interesting (like new) MS880 with 3 bars that seemed like at good deal at about 1.5K. Saw the usual Wild Things with an asking price of $125. Saw a couple MS460s, an 044, scads of the "throwaways", a non running pro-mac 10-10, a cooked Stihl 025 for $80, Saw a burning semi-truck near Indy. (Glad we were going south as the north lanes were completely blocked)

Came across a collection of a saw, string trimmer and blower for $30 west of Nashville but it wasn't a you suck find so I'm not veering off course for it. Saw a non running Shinny for $50, the 029s for $300 and so forth.

I guess overall it just wasn't that exciting of a hunt. Is a used MS460 really selling for $800 or is that wishful thinking?

I saw an MS660 with three bars for $500 in Indiana but the pics looked to be a saw shop and it didn't all make sense to me. I strongly suspect no one is going to buy a saw like that for that price from this place... If that was a legit listing, then someone is going to get a "you suck" deal for sure.

Gas has been running around $3.30 on average for unleaded. Hopefully less in TN and GA.

My routing is Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Louisville, Bowling Green, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta and then home.

Happy New Year!

wow you got some good gas prices, over here gas is like 4.29 or so, gotta hate NYS

It has really been quite around me lately too. We got about 18 inches of snow and I guess that really shut down the chainsaw biz, I'm bored, cant really cut any wood with this much snow. and no saws to buy. just hibernating

You just missed me! Head north on 69 to a little town of Charlotte! Just up the road from the 69/94 interchange. Pronounced Shar-lot.
Although not much here. Been checking and not seeing much. Of course everything has its price.
Seen an 029 half decent go for 232.50 today.
A 460 for 560.00
A 044 parts saw for 280.00
Have a safe trip home!

As far as the number of saws for sale, I would say it is above average. Probably because people had time to create the listings. There also seemed to be a greater than normal number of large saws for sale. I just didn't find anything overly interesting to me. The only saw I would possibly be interested in other than cheap deals to flip would be a Stihl 044/046 class saw. But I don't want to pay market price for one. Maybe I'll find a scored one someday and snag it cheap.

As far as the number of saws for sale, I would say it is above average. Probably because people had time to create the listings. There also seemed to be a greater than normal number of large saws for sale. I just didn't find anything overly interesting to me. The only saw I would possibly be interested in other than cheap deals to flip would be a Stihl 044/046 class saw. But I don't want to pay market price for one. Maybe I'll find a scored one someday and snag it cheap.

That is exactly what I did. Chewed up 044 and turned it into an 046. Almost was gonna put it up for sale along with my 029 but now I'm having second thoughts. Every time I feel like selling it I start it and rev it and the feeling goes away!

That is exactly what I did. Chewed up 044 and turned it into an 046. Almost was gonna put it up for sale along with my 029 but now I'm having second thoughts. Every time I feel like selling it I start it and rev it and the feeling goes away!

Yeah, it's like that with my Stihl 070. I just know as soon as it goes down the road I am going to need to cut a 6' diameter oak...

Happy New Year!

That 660 in indy is a guy i have bought and sold to for several years now. He always sells them for good prices and has alot of saws for sale. About once a year he does an auction from his house where he sales all kinds of stuff. He is a very good guy and he is legit.

There is a nice ported 288xp for sale here in the Indy area also:msp_smile:

QUOTE=Bushmans;4052582]You just missed me! Head north on 69 to a little town of Charlotte! Just up the road from the 69/94 interchange. Pronounced Shar-lot.

I was pretty close to Charlotte on the 20th of December. I had to deliver some florescent lamps to a guy SE of Lake Odessa but not as far as Charlotte. I haven't been to that town since the early 1980's.

Well, we are back home, have a couple fires started and the truck got all the road salt rinsed off by driving through about 500 miles of rain (out of 895 miles). Only thing I brought home was the Mac 10-10 from MI.

Oh, can't forget my wife and two of the three kids and a niece who got dropped off 35 miles from here. So it was the only SAW I brought home. Might have to have a look see into that this next week...

Should have given a call out. We could have run some saws.

I thought about connecting with you but it would have been politically incorrect for the situation I was in. (family time and all...) We did do some shooting though. We ate a couple pizzas at Yankee Boy and then headed back to the Grand Rapids area. It was a short trip. You guys have quite a bit of snow up there compared to down state. Saw lots of coyote and deer tracks. There would have been plenty to cut there but the guy who leases it cuts his own wood for their camp.

Happy New Year!

Was that 660 in LaFontaine???

That dude has a bunch of saws on craigslist.(all Stihls)

He also fixes saws for $13hr, someday I need to swing over there and check him out.

Was that 660 in LaFontaine???

That dude has a bunch of saws on craigslist.(all Stihls)

He also fixes saws for $13hr, someday I need to swing over there and check him out.

Here is the link to the one I was referring to. ____ STIHL Chainsaw - - - - MS 660 Magnum Just seems like too good of a deal to be true. If this is a legit deal, someone should jump on that like a bum on a biscuit.

Back