Heads up! Stolen saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
Reaction score
Just wanted to put this out there- the Green mountain club (GMC) in Vermont had 8 chainsaws and 2 generators stolen from a tool shed over the weekend. The GMC is caretakers for hiking trails and shelters in Vermont and do a lot on the Long trail and the VT Appalachian trail section.

I’m posting because I’ve been a part of the chainsaw enthusiast world, I know guys get excited for good deals and are always looking for saws to buy. It’s always been a fear of mine to get ahold of a stolen saw. I had a 346xp stolen from me last fall, it stinks.
So heads up, if you see any good deals (I think they were all Stihls, probably smaller size) and it smells fishy, please alert the authorities. Likely locations would be Vermont, New Hampshire, Northern New York, Maine, Massachusetts.
I love hiking and have hiked the Long trail the length of the state, the GMC is a non profit organization and does great work.

All those in chainsaw land, keep an eye out....

Drug-related, for sure. I've never been to VT, but I wouldn't expect that kind of behavior up that way, but it's everywhere. Around here, it would most likely be "Newport smokers".

Yeah it happens in VT, the interstates are a drug superhighway from Boston and NYC/surrounding city areas...drugs come north, saws probably went south.

I don’t know the models, details etc. just going off what they shared, they had a picture of the orange saw cases that looked like what come with smaller stihls so just a guess ms260/261’s.

Handy SN recording device is your phone.
21ce02c37d3e20c5bec4cf7c73a06564.jpg

Yeah it happens in VT, the interstates are a drug superhighway from Boston and NYC/surrounding city areas...drugs come north, saws probably went south.

I don’t know the models, details etc. just going off what they shared, they had a picture of the orange saw cases that looked like what come with smaller stihls so just a guess ms260/261’s.
Is there any particular reason why they won't share model name info? I don't know how they expect the community to help get their equipment back without the most important detail.

ThAt sucks. I’m in north central mass I’ll keep an eye out. The junkies will steal anything not bolted down. 4 years ago I was doing a spring cleanup at an apartment complex in a rough area of Worcester. Truck was in the lot behind the building, I was out front. Finshied up and loaded the tools. When I got to my buddies 45 min later I saw my new 65cc Kawasaki blower was gone. Made me sick. $450 blower that some loser sold for his next fix, only took a minute. Lousy way to learn a lesson.

They did share the models but no serial#’s. All ms261’s and one ms260, varying bar lengths of 18 and 20”

I would also take a guess that they look like pretty gently used saws. These guys do a lot more hand tool work than chainsawing.

IMG_0873.PNG IMG_0874.PNG
Just wanted to put this out there- the Green mountain club (GMC) in Vermont had 8 chainsaws and 2 generators stolen from a tool shed over the weekend. The GMC is caretakers for hiking trails and shelters in Vermont and do a lot on the Long trail and the VT Appalachian trail section.

I’m posting because I’ve been a part of the chainsaw enthusiast world, I know guys get excited for good deals and are always looking for saws to buy. It’s always been a fear of mine to get ahold of a stolen saw. I had a 346xp stolen from me last fall, it stinks.
So heads up, if you see any good deals (I think they were all Stihls, probably smaller size) and it smells fishy, please alert the authorities. Likely locations would be Vermont, New Hampshire, Northern New York, Maine, Massachusetts.
I love hiking and have hiked the Long trail the length of the state, the GMC is a non profit organization and does great work.

All those in chainsaw land, keep an eye out....
McCulloch saws stolen,

One of my logger buddies had just bought a new MS661C M-Tronic and had a 36" bar/chain mounted on board. A week later he left it in his pickup truck while he ate a sandwich for lunch at a fast food restaurant. He might have been inside for 20 minutes at most. When he returned, the saw was gone, lifted right out of the truck bed. Not a trace and the restaurant manager had not had a chance to install security cameras because it was a new shop.

Thieves are lurking everywhere. :nofunny:

Old thread.

I missed original posting but I'm in that area to look for them. I hike and hunt/fish The Long Trail and AT trail areas. I know leaving a truck or car up in the hills is an invitation for thievery.

Give Billy Bratcher a call in Bennington Vt. He is by far the best stihl dealer I've met and might get one of the saws in for repairs. He is a real small shop so weird hours.

Latest posts

Back