Heat for Pole Barn...Radiant vs. Forced

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont want to spin this thread in a different direction and want to concentrate on doing the floor correctly, but as far as the concrete slab goes.......

to use wire mesh and tie the pex to the wire or a fiber mesh and fasten pex to the foam board?
My slab is; poly, 2" foam, #4 rebar on 2' squares, 6"x6" mesh, 1/2" pex (with O2 barrier), "chaired up" 2" and tied. 5" pour. in that order.
I had my system designed by a radiant co. and all that I know is by following their plans. (I did the install). I had a discussion with them about placement of the pex, they basically said that it was better towards the living side of the 'crete but that overall it didn't matter that much. (if you wanted to put it down first) I just figured that it was better to put the pex in last, to avoiding dragging around all that steel around on it! Make sure that you tie it all in (your pex loops) to one big loop and put about 60psi air pressure with a guage to watch for 24 hrs. before and during the pour. And have the necessary stuff on hand in case it gets damaged while pouring.
Oh, take a ton of pictures, with reference points before you pour, and make and follow a drawing in case you need that info later, plumbing? drill to mount machinery? etc.

My "shop" is 48x52 with 13' ceilings and it will have in floor hydronic heat. I plan on spending a fair amount of time and asking a lot of questions at The Garage Journal. I have a basic knowledge of hyrdronic heat but do know that in-floor needs to be set-up right; there are well-known "laws"/"rules"/equations to use in laying it all out.

My slab is; poly, 2" foam, #4 rebar on 2' squares, 6"x6" mesh, 1/2" pex (with O2 barrier), "chaired up" 2" and tied. 5" pour. in that order.
I had my system designed by a radiant co. and all that I know is by following their plans. (I did the install). I had a discussion with them about placement of the pex, they basically said that it was better towards the living side of the 'crete but that overall it didn't matter that much. (if you wanted to put it down first) I just figured that it was better to put the pex in last, to avoiding dragging around all that steel around on it! Make sure that you tie it all in (your pex loops) to one big loop and put about 60psi air pressure with a guage to watch for 24 hrs. before and during the pour. And have the necessary stuff on hand in case it gets damaged while pouring.
Oh, take a ton of pictures, with reference points before you pour, and make and follow a drawing in case you need that info later, plumbing? drill to mount machinery? etc.

Thats some great info
Thanks

Latest posts

Back