Heat loss from CB6048

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swyman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My run is 220' from the house, from inside, goes to hot water heater then furnace coil and back to boiler. I have the CB 1" thermopex. I have a 5 ton blower in my house and a buddy sized my coil by blower capacity. I have my boiler set at 185-195 and usually average 185 to 190 coming into house. I lose 50deg over the coil. I have a 014 Taco pump and was wondering if I up-sized my pump to the next series and increased the flow, it should lower my heat loss correct? I want to add 400sqft of floor heat and am concerned about my loop not keeping up. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to spend another $2500 for another pex run, I know I should have used 1 1/4" pex but we all know about hind site! I lose about 2-3deg between house and boiler.

My run is 220' from the house, from inside, goes to hot water heater then furnace coil and back to boiler. I have the CB 1" thermopex. I have a 5 ton blower in my house and a buddy sized my coil by blower capacity. I have my boiler set at 185-195 and usually average 185 to 190 coming into house. I lose 50deg over the coil. I have a 014 Taco pump and was wondering if I up-sized my pump to the next series and increased the flow, it should lower my heat loss correct? I want to add 400sqft of floor heat and am concerned about my loop not keeping up. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to spend another $2500 for another pex run, I know I should have used 1 1/4" pex but we all know about hind site! I lose about 2-3deg between house and boiler.

Air bubble maybe?

I also have a 6048. I have 3 separate heat zones in the house and 2 in an out building. Also 2 Hot water tanks. ( 1 in each building) and a pool heater. All my pex is 1 inch. A manifold where your pex comes into the house with ball valves to contol flow should solve your problem. I just tweak the ball valves at the manifold to get the flow I want to each zone. Can't see a similar method wouldn't work for you.

220' each way? Sounds to me like the pex is too small. You may not be able to get more flow with that 1" pex acting like a bottle neck.

How much lost after the water heater,before the furnace coil?

How much lost after the water heater,before the furnace coil?

I don't have a gauge after between the two. It's just the convection heat tube that CB sells. Once my water heater is up to temp I don't think it loses hardly any. This set up heats my house fine, just seems like almost a boiler shock with my return being 50- deg cooler. The only way I can think to fix this would be to increase the flow. I pulled a line off at boiler return and flow seems to be about 6-7 gal a minute. I figure if I went with a more powerful pump I should increase flow which in turn reduce heat loss. The numbers for my pump are much greater on the charts but this is my reality. I have not done the math for friction over distance and number of 90 deg turns which affect flow but it seems that more power should flow more.

Back