Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah.....that makes total sense about the shoulder.

The poly handle is only 32" I believe. I spent a lot of time rooting through their website.
You might be right on that. I dont see the length of the handle listed for the composit heavy log splitter however they only offer a 31.5" composit replacement handle...

I believe the next splitting tool I buy is going to be a heavier maul though, not another splitting axe. Have you tried their Top Line product? The Heavy Splitter has a 6.2 lb head weight and the Heavy Splitting Maul has a 7.7lb head weight.

You might be right on that. I dont see the length of the handle listed for the composit heavy log splitter however they only offer a 31.5" composit replacement handle...

I believe the next splitting tool I buy is going to be a heavier maul though, not another splitting axe. Have you tried their Top Line product? The Heavy Splitter has a 6.2 lb head weight and the Heavy Splitting Maul has a 7.7lb head weight.

I like the looks of the top line series. I never really considered them because of the wood handles. We just don't get along.

I like the looks of the top line series. I never really considered them because of the wood handles. We just don't get along.
Thats the primary reason I bough the Fiskars. Well... the warranty on the poly handle is why... but, in any case I will eventually buy a heavy maul and it may or may not have a poly handle. The Fiskars IsoCore maul ranks high on my list, especially since its cheaper than the Top Line (or similar mauls) and because they maintain the lifetime warranty...
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/IsoCore-8-lb-Maul-36

Thats the primary reason I bough the Fiskars. Well... the warranty on the poly handle is why... but, in any case I will eventually buy a heavy maul and it may or may not have a poly handle. The Fiskars IsoCore maul ranks high on my list, especially since its cheaper than the Top Line (or similar mauls) and because they maintain the lifetime warranty...
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/IsoCore-8-lb-Maul-36
That Helko is pretty! But I too would fear for its handle with my ham fists operating. I'm interested in that Isocore though. I love my fiskers 27 but it's a bit overmatched in big >16" wide rounds. To be fair I do cut mine in 20 inch lengths too. Wonder how the ISO and Helko compare?

Mark,

Just curious as to how this compares to the other splitting tools you have tested. Have you used a Fiskars X27 yet?

As of now the Husky S2800 is my go-to but I haven't used the Helko or any of the Stihl tools.

Steve
Yes, several years ago, I bought the Fiskars X27 as soon as it hit the shelves. Before that time, I used to use a 28" Fiskars Super Splitting Axe/Maul, which works awesome when using a compact swing. I prefer a 36" handle when taking a big swing.

As far as how the Helko compares, I would say it's one of my top go-to mauls. I'm very impressed with it.

Ah.....that makes total sense about the shoulder.

I "imagine" the polyamide handle "would be" comparable to Stihl's splitting axe. That's just me guessing though.

The poly handle is only 32" I believe. I spent a lot of time rooting through their website.

The head style is different but, the handle looks close but not quite .

I have one. Father gave it to me as a gift probably 10 years ago now. Feels great in your hands and does a fairly descent job splitting straight grained wood. Problem, IMO, maybe my own fault, bolts in head became a little loose and I snapped one off in the axe head. I welded it shut and machined it out again, ordered replacement parts from the company and it has happened a 2nd time. I was meticulous in keeping them tight before the second time. It was the other one that snapped this time. Not sure if I should have used some loc tite to help keep the vibration down, but I have put it on the shelf for now.

I have one. Father gave it to me as a gift probably 10 years ago now. Feels great in your hands and does a fairly descent job splitting straight grained wood. Problem, IMO, maybe my own fault, bolts in head became a little loose and I snapped one off in the axe head. I welded it shut and machined it out again, ordered replacement parts from the company and it has happened a 2nd time. I was meticulous in keeping them tight before the second time. It was the other one that snapped this time. Not sure if I should have used some loc tite to help keep the vibration down, but I have put it on the shelf for now.
Perhaps to the bolts get distressed over time and they should be changed every X years?

I have 2 powered splitters, a big hydraulic and a supersplit, so probably not distressed bolts! I have found the older I get, the more I want to use powered stuff.

I wonder if @Split Maester would have any input

Latest posts

Back