Hello Fellow Wood Burners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highpower

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been lurking around reading posts since buying my OWF (Hardy) last fall. I have a few observations from a green horn newbie.

1. This thing will burn anything I throw into it. I heat around 3000-sq. ft five-year-old house. We are warm natured so the thermostat stays around 68 F.
2. Our electric bill is approx. one third what it has been the first three winters without the OWF. We have a dual fuel central unit, heat pump and gas. Which is now turned off.
3. The temperature coming out of the registers with the heat pump is 87 F. Wood furnace is 110-112 F.
4. Lately the weather in Tennessee has run from 9 F. Thursday and Friday to 65 today. I can load the heater before I leave for work and the wood on to of the pile will not even be scorched. With the sun shining and the coals in the heater the damper never opens in ten hours. The 9-degree nights will practically burn everything I put in the night before.
5. My hot water is hotter than with the water heater alone. There is also a slight comforting smoky smell to the hot water in the shower.
Lastly if you wrap a roast and some baking potatoes in foil and place them under the fire grate you will be ready to eat in around four hours.

Sorry my first post is so long. I’ve been holding it in for a year.

Welcome aboard, and stop holding it in, you'll hurt something:D Quite the conflageration of utilites you have there, and smoky water to boot, that's a new one. :)

Welcome, I too have an OWF, I love it. Warm natured? I have mine set at 72F in an 80 year old house in WI. I can't say enough good things about it. I have several friends and co-workers with them everybody loves them up here.

Thanks

Thanks for the "warm" welcome.
Germy I guess warm natured is a southern saying. I am comfortable with the temperature at 65-68 where most people tend to have their thermostat set to 78.
Wdchuck, wood is the only thing smoking around here. I did notice it more last year when the stove was new. I was also burning logging tops that had been on the ground a couple years. Some of them had gotten pretty soft. Lots of smoke.

Welcome, be sure to wear boots and jacket around here cause it can get deep at times:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes properly firng the OWB is a learning experiance. We have been mostly above normal warm here in C Ohio and most days the Woodmaster hardly fires when fueled with smaller pieces of dry wood that were cut last year for the inside stove. The one cool week we had I found that it burned less wood when I used the larger chunks that we have cut just for it. I have a friend with a Hardy and his lone problem has been keeping it lit when the weather is so warm. Mostly solved by leaving the ashes build up higher.

The smokey smell in the water mite be in your head???? Any ways that stove has the coil in the water jacket right? Man it seems kinda weired that it smells like it.
Yes be very careful around here with your OWB they (indoor wood burning crazy people LOL, just picking) kinda like to not like the OWB... its been fun with them threads, I did learn alot about indoor wood burning.
You will be buying more chainsaws also so be ready to spend money on some chainsaws.
Welcome to the AS

hmmm.... maybe you should install a charcoal filter on your water line to remove the smokey smell:dizzy:

Seriously though (at least half-seriously)... I wonder if what your experiencing is the "smoke" being washed off of your skin via contact through your clothing? It's kind of like the morning after I eat a big dinner with a lot of garlic. When I'm in the shower, I can smell the garlic coming off of me.

But on the plus side; it makes it really easy to marinade your steaks!

Smoke on the water

I don't know if it's me that smells of smoke or not but the wife said she can smell it too, and no I was not in the shower wit her (this time). And she won't go near the stove, except for this morning I was in a hurry because it was raining I forgot and left the ash door open. She called me at work to tell me about an hour after I left she heard a strange noise and looked out to see water, steam and smoke going every where. She went out and shut the door.
Lesson #64: Too much draft is a bad thing. OOPS!! :buttkick:

MRCONRAN said:
I think you need to close the bathroom window when you are in the shower:

Good one! A fella needs a since of humor around here.

MS-310 Let the saw buying commence. My last purchase was a Husky 350.
It's mostly plastic but it sure runs and cuts like a scalded dog. Sorry PETA.

highpower said:
Good one! A fella needs a since of humor around here.

MS-310 Let the saw buying commence. My last purchase was a Husky 350.
It's mostly plastic but it sure runs and cuts like a scalded dog. Sorry PETA.

Never be sorry for being a Person Eating Tasty Animals. :hmm3grin2orange:

wdchuck, I am a firm believer that if God had not intended us to eat animals he would not have made them taste so good.

I have a saw question while I'm here. I have an Echo 302S that has .25 chain. Is there someone out there that sells a sprocket to convert it to .325 or something more available? This thing is great for small limbs and light work but the chain and bar are just about history. Thanks.

Wow talk about a 360, or did i miss something? Yep i re-read and re-read i get it now. for those other dummies out there that missed it to, it's the peta part. Oh and Welcome highpower . I heard if you tenn guys couldnt shoot it you'd cut it. Nice meeting ya.

Last edited:
B-Edwards said:
Wow talk about a 360, or did i miss something? Yep i re-read and re-read i get it now. for those other dummies out there that missed it to, it's the peta part. Oh and Welcome highpower . I heard if you tenn guys couldnt shoot it you'd cut it. Nice meeting ya.

B, Nice to meet you too.

I shoot and cut fairly well. My screen name is from shooting NRA Highpower competion for umpteen years, just became a serious cutter last year.
Meat eater for life :)

Back