Help - Coarse Woody Debris / Lars Larson Show comment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you familiar with Coarse Woody Debris pertaining to forests?

• I am aware of it, and understand quite a bit

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • I have heard about it and understand little or none

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I am totally unfamiliar with the term, regarding forests

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
M.D. Vaden

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
If you answered, and its not obvious from your profile or signature that you are a professional, please mention it, so I can distinguish between "gardeners" and pros on this. Thanks.

Anybody every listen to Lars Larson on the radio?

He was covering Silviculture, logging and forestry today as one topic, and I called in, mentioning "Coarse Woody Debris" or CWD, which is the big dead stuff in the woods. Logs, stumps, dead trees.

Anyhow, best I can tell, most decisions and negotiations between factions will all involve something that CWD affects - say, that some shrubs in the forest can't reproduce without it, needing the protective bulk as a barrier against browsing deer.

Anyway, Lars kept trying to shift from that aspect. He made a comment similar to that most people who garden would know about CWD.

So here's the deal. To avoid speculation, I figured the forums would be one extra way to find out if gardeners really know what Coarse Woody Debris is. The forestry term, not bark mulch.

A few of the hard-core plant people may know. But, how many of you are comfortably familiar with "Coarse Woody Debris" and its role in the forest?

How many gardeners do you think really know about it?

clearance

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi M.D., I am usually used to hearing CWD in regards to fish bearing streams. I know that the forest needs it to grow, thats why I question yarding out every last stick right to a 4" top.

slowp
I deal with it. We now call it Down Woody Material. The older timber sale contracts require a certain amount of trees , of a certain size, to be cut by the logger, and left on the ground. The new contracts no longer require this but then this is put into the KV plan, with trees to be dropped by a contractor or Forest Service after the sale has been completed. This year, most of the units have enough blowdown in them that very little will need to be felled. Nobody does surveys prior to the sale, so I don't know how the biologists come up with what needs to be felled to meet the requirements. Apparently, the logs left will shelter the little critters and insects that need them and then will rot and add nutrients to the soil. So, when the carriage smacks into a tree and knocks it over, I have the crew leave it for DWM.
Yup, I've listened to Lars Larson. I usually can't stand it for long. I prefer cheery talk shows like "Car Talk". Lars always sounds a bit whiney to me. :deadhorse: And,I don't like shows that are sponsored by political parties. Hope this answers your questions.
Coming soon: Legacy Logs!!

1I'dJak

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
a goood old cwd! took a ecological restoration course and the forestry sector covered it quite a abit.... very important for nutrient cycling, maintianing horizontal structure of forest floor, habitat for forest animals etc... right now i'm writing a paper concerning rectruitment of snags in even aged second growth stands....these wildlife trees are very important to forest health and eventually add to the coarse woody debris load

slowp
Large woody debris becomes "Legacy Logs". During a discussion it was brought up that these logs need to be left undisturbed, so unit boundaries must go up around the logs. These are large, old culls left during the first entry. I showed him photos of the undisturbed legacy logs after yarding had occurred. I explained how loggers can work around the logs and don't really like yanking logs through them. He thought a while, and then came up with another excuse, "they had to be left in an undisturbed area so they would be shaded and not dry out so quickly." This is in a first entry thinning unit! :chainsaw: