Help deciding bar & cain combo for Stihl MS290? (cheaper) 18 inch. Thanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammertime1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been running an Echo 370 after very long break from wood cutting. The size and weight are perfect considering my days of tackling big stuff are over since my injury. I had been wanting to get a bigger Stihl more for memories then needs. I ended up being able to acquire a MS290 and an Echo CS 400 for less then price of either new from a tree service professional I know. It was too good of deal to say no too. He thought he would have them as backups. He ended up replacing them with bigger saws almost immediately. He tackles a lot of really big jobs so they just were not up to what he needed even in a pinch.
The MS290 came with a 20 inch bar. The chain does not have much life so I figured I would just swap out for an 18 inch combo which if I needed to use the Stihl it would be more realistic.
My dad always took care of our chain purchases so it was one of those things I never learned about all the differences. As a kid I ran a saw better then most adults but I definitely have not retained all I learned either.
I am in shock at how many options there are and talk about what sprocket goes with what. Anti kick back versus all the other options.
I just want to find a cheaper decent priced set or purchase them individually to save on costs. Plus I want to learn what I am looking at when I see all the options so I understand down the road. Along with learning about how to grade the different brands options for durability etc. Is the anti kick back all that or more hype? I am assuming we did not run them when I was a kid. I cut and split a lot of firewood. It was our main source of heat from almost as far back as I can remember.
It dawned on me I have no clue whats on my 370 let alone the other two. The Orgeon that is on the 370 has been great for my needs but we are also talking smaller stuff & 15 years since I last ran a chainsaw on a regular basis. So, I may not just remember the difference. I have manuals ordered for the MS and need to get looking up mine plus a manual for the 400 although I suspect they are very similar. Just my book only list the 370.
I am also looking for a manual sharpener. MY dad did it all free hand, he had zero patience for teaching and with his temper I gave up on trying to learn back then. I was kind thinking idiot proof. I do not sleep much from pain so I know Im prone for mistakes doing simple things like sharpening n such if I am not really paying attention. I have the cheap Oregon round file with a guide up but it does not give a lot of options either. I know I read the swiss? one was highly regarded from my net searches but would like to hear others views and experiences as well.
This site has been awesome since finding it.
Thanks

Thanks, I had looked at that n wondered how it was. I didn't realize it and finally found spot on bar under enough light where bar is marked .325 :(. Bar I don't think bar is original from looks of it compared to way internals (almost new) of saw looked. I checked drive too to make sure. He had bars off Stilhs were discussing possibly for me. He just pulled a bar off his wall and a chain too match so I had a set to get me going. Never even thought to ask for a 18 inch bar If he had one. I was still in shock over price and his make sure your happy with em first. I know his thinking I already had a 16 inch saw, he was selling me an 18 echo so normally a 20 would be logical as well(my guess would be that) . Think id rather have 3/8 just to keep it all the same with other 2 but guessing that at least $17ish is for sprocket if I dont need anything else. May have to put it off for a while.

I have an 18" .325/.063 on my 290 and it pulls it just fine. After I put the 390 motor in my blown 310, I'll probably run the same on it as i have an extra bar sitting here. Muff mod the 290, it'll breath easier and run better.

Just keep the 20" bar and get a new chain for it. In .325 the 029 will pull that fine. If you want a lighter saw, use the Echo. If the chain is sharp, it can be used until it's almost "gone".

Muffler mod is already done. :) for Stihl. I just have to clip the one piece on high end and make adjustment afterward. low end is already set if all else works out as it has from directions I was following. Echos for now I am leaving alone since I have the Stihl and 370 is still under warrnty so not messing with a thing in it. The two chains are dull and without looking at em one has a super aggressive angle to it. He asked me to not use em until he got time to sharpen em and chage the angle on the one. I'd rather have new chains I was maintaining. Then have these as backups for now. They have been ground on a machine. Things like were they overheated, etc I have no clue bout. I hate to be using it and have chain just go dull when I needed it most. I could leave one as 20 think It would be more usable with 18 inch but ill never push em so probaly doesn't matter one way or other. I really doubt I'd ever need a bar that big. 16 inch yes, I can see needing more then that. Few times on lease an 18 inch bar would have been perfect since I got the other echo with an 18 it's an option. Was kinda thinking and 18& 20 bar would be nice too for down the road.
Are the .325 really more prone to pinching. I know better when it comes what to avoid but reminding myself hey dummy don't do that hasn't set in either until right as Im doing it.
I don't sleep much. So I tend to over think & over analyze everthing. Plus I enjoy learning. Helps keep my mind occupied n off all the damn stree gettong hurt caused. Cutting n splitting was always a love. I never realzied how much was alaviable for chain saws. Just amazing.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back