Help developing Chainsaw safety course

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfwoodvt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been working with a couple of kid's camps this past year helping them get thier adult workers familiar with the safe use of saws. This includes chainsaws, handsaws and other stuff that is good at cutting things (and people )

Anyhow, I've used a couple of powerpoint presentations plus the Stihl safty DVD but I'd really like to be sure that we have a well documented curriculum and test protocol to be sure that I have actually taught them something worthwhile and that they will remember it.

Does anyone have a decent lesson plan or curriculum that they'd be willing to share?

How about a "qualification" or "certification" test for chainsaw safety or use?

I've got tons of suggestions and ideas, but no actual examples of documents, programs or lesson plans.

I'd welcome all input, suggestions and examples.

ThanX!

Chainsaw class

Yes there are lots of tests and info out there on that saw use. I would assume that people are not sharing everything because they sell the class as training. I have done tthe class for a few public works dept in the Burlington area. I would be willing to chat with you.
later

No courses here sorry, but am more than willing to critique anything you send my way pdf wise, just e-mail me, I would be happy to give you my honest take on things, I am sure many others would contribute freely to such a worthy endeavor too. Maybe post a link to your course outline, or be more specific, or just download it here and post the link, let us know what you are talking about. Don't be shy. I am sure, by the sounds of it, that you have your bases covered. So I am wondering what it is you think you missed? Basic safety, keeping your gear clean and sharp, woods sense, is all covered for the most part in OHSA (sp dang correct me here guys, nm did it) literature and various other free publications. Obviously you are not teaching kids to fall trees, so in that light stick to the basics, stress PPE, work habits, safety, work ethic, tool maintenance/upkeep, and of course first aid. Sharp tools are great, sharp teachers even better.
:)

Last edited:
rfwoodvt said:
I've been working with a couple of kid's camps this past year helping them get thier adult workers familiar with the safe use of saws. This includes chainsaws, handsaws and other stuff that is good at cutting things (and people )

Anyhow, I've used a couple of powerpoint presentations plus the Stihl safty DVD but I'd really like to be sure that we have a well documented curriculum and test protocol to be sure that I have actually taught them something worthwhile and that they will remember it.

Does anyone have a decent lesson plan or curriculum that they'd be willing to share?

How about a "qualification" or "certification" test for chainsaw safety or use?

I've got tons of suggestions and ideas, but no actual examples of documents, programs or lesson plans.

I'd welcome all input, suggestions and examples.

ThanX!

PM Bermie or email her she might have some good info for ya..

Courses and Certification

Thanks for the shout 04!

rfwoodvt...I can point you in the direction of NPTC/City & Guilds. Its English, but I use their qualifications and Assessments here in Bermuda.
For an actual sample, check out the assessment schedules

http://www.nptc.org.uk/assessment-schedules/ scroll down till you see the chainsaw ones

All the chainsaw related outlines are there and you can build a course around that.
As for the actual training I use Lantra Awards (UK based as well), so I get workbooks, safety leaflets, insurance and all that.

For training novices I run a three day course that covers all the basic machine safety, risk assessment, power unit maintenance, bar & chain ID maintenance and sharpening, site work, delimbing and crosscutting (I think you all call it limbing and bucking) all done with appropriate PPE. Bear in mind this is quite detailed as its designed to prepare the participants for the certification test.

IF you PM me I could send you some course outlines that you can rework, change, alter to fit your particular circumstances

Happy training:rock:

S-212

RF,
Depending on how friendly you are with your local Forest Service, or State DNR, you can get the whole S-212 (Wildland Power Saws) safety class. It is a class given to all firefighters that wish to carry a saw on federal fires in the whole US. No matter what state you live in it is basically the same class. It is a 24-32 hour class. Check with your local Forest Service ranger station, or State DNR.
Onelick

chainsaw safety

go to oregonchain.com they offer a chainsaw safety course. also go to baileys
and buy Professional Timber Falling by Douglas Dent. Dougs book is worth its weight in gold.:rock:
:popcorn: :givebeer:

Does anyone have a link to that video oregon engineer posted showing the force of kickback? That will catch a person's attention more than any amount of explanation and theory.

Latest posts

Back