HELP: Engineering Senior Design Project Ideas Needed. What are your dreams?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothykamp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
** I’m posting in this forum because I’m always seeing posts on “building the ultimate ___”, and I see an opportunity to combine the ideas of a lot of smart people who might not have all the resources to develop something. I can’t speak for my team yet, but I’m interested in the open source movement and would be interested in perhaps making some our project/prototype/etc available.**

First, a quick bit of background
on an unusual request. I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. Senior design started this week, and we're picking/ deciding on projects. Unless I propose a good enough project, I'm stuck doing something with the title of personal cooling, and I'm far more interested in lots more interesting things. By Tuesday, I need to write 2-3 project proposals - a half page summary about an idea, what it entails, why it's needed and why it's a new approach or a better solution to the current one, if appropriate.

Here's what we have at our disposal:

I'm a member of a 7-man team with around $1000 at our disposal, more if we have sponsors, etc. We've been taught 2-3 CAD systems, computational fluid dynamics, lots about dynamics/materials science and quite a lot about thermodynamics, heat/mass transfer, machine design, and mechanical and electrical controls.
We have access to a full machine shop, prototyping areas, many different software tools, research labs, access to all the faculty, and contacts to some of the best engineers in industry.

WHAT WE NEED:
Between now and May 1, we are tasked with designing, prototyping, testing and presenting a design project. It must be sufficiently complex (we can’t make a new paper towel holder) and still remain feasible (no new kinetic hybrid cars, only go-karts). Safety is a big concern, and so we can’t be blowing things up. Controlled combustion is OK.
Examples of previous projects
-Automatic robotic beverage dispenser for airlines
-Autonomous robotic snowblower
-Automatic egg cooker
-hydroelectric power for underdeveloped countries
-Solar desalinator
-Low cost underwater robot from PVC pipe

I'm especially looking for ideas that involve any or all of the following - control systems, programmable logic controllers, hydraulic systems, wind power, heating systems, alternative energy, etc.

Personally, I cut and sell a lot of firewood each year, and considered building a multi-fuel boiler system. It would automatically switch between different fuels (corn, pellets, logs, waste oil, etc) as heat demand increased/output decreased and would perhaps have add-ons that tie directly into a radiant floor heat system, a home hot water heater, a swimming pool, or other things. I’m interested in this, but any other equipment also appeals to me. Before I came to college I built a log splitter, biodiesel reactor, and a hovercraft in my garage, so you can see I’m open to just about anything.

Lastly and most importantly, thanks for your help!

Well, I’m sure you could come up with several solutions, but here's a problem I have that I intend to solve soon with some know how I have from the same education you are finishing up.

The only real issue I have with my OWB setup is when the power goes out. Back when I had a good old' indoor stove, if we lost power in the winter, who cared. The indoor stove kept us warm we lit a few oil lamps for light and were good to go for days on end. Now, if I the power goes out, I have to drag out the generator, hook everything up, go out to re-set the stove.... it’s a bit of a hassle. I realize I should be thankful that I have a generator to use, but it is a bit of a pain to fuel the damn thing up every 6 hours. And even if I wanted to, I couldn't just say screw it and stay somewhere else, because the boiler would freeze and I would be out a lot of money.

I am considering designing a self-charging battery backup system for it this summer. Something that can draw enough power from the heat of the chimney to charge the batteries, run the blower and power the pump intermittently. I currently have two thoughts for the power generation, but I haven’t researched either enough to have yet decided on one, or maybe even both.
1. Sterling engine. I haven’t seen any ready built that could drive much, but I have seen plans for bigger ones. I guess the key to power and speed for these things is the temperature differential. 20 deg outside air vs. 400 plus stack air seems like a pretty big difference to me. Could power either a few alternators or a small dc generator, would depend on horse power you ended up with. If you have access to cnc equipment, you could surely make a decent sized one in two months....
2. There are plates that can convert heat energy directly into dc. I don't remember the exact name, but I know Jameco sells them. Again, temperature differential is the key.

not only would you have to design the power source, but a system to monitor the battery charge, cycling the pump when needed, voltage control....

I know it can be done, and I am planning to make the attempt over the next few years. My goal is to end up with the ability to power the OWB and the furnace blower from a single battery source and draw enough power from the wood burning in the stove to power these operations and charge the battery when it gets low.

Let me know what you think.

My thoughts are just a bit different then Bcat22, a more effcient OWB would be great and use the wood gas off the stack to run a engine / generator all the time.

I'll be in the same boat as you next year, and one of the guys that will be in my seniro design class has already entertained the idea of building some sort of OWB that is PLC controlled with all sorts of bells and whistles. I'd be all for it, having already built one here at home I have tons of ideas on things to change and upgrade. The only problem is getting sponsors that will throw money in for such an idea...

Good luck with whatever you come up with, I think our school (Miami Ohio) was working with you Purdue boys here a year or so ago (Electro-Mechanical Majors) on some sort of optical implant for glaucoma patients.... Not sure what it did or how it worked, but I saw a small prototype at one point in time. Have no idea what ever came of it...

I think a wood gas generator that was able to power and heat a house would be great. I've been looking at the plans FEMA came up with in 1989 for emergency power and wonder why can't I buy this technology in Walmart yet. I mean who wouldn't buy a wood powered generator/heater?

Ok, First I commend you on being a Senior in College and learning Fluid dynamics that don't start and end with 12oz increments. I majored in "Bud" dynamics with a minor in "shots accumulation dynamics"...:good:.

I would like a machine that stops my wife from shopping at the mall. Oh and if you have all that extra machinery can you make her cook too. I don't hear very well so I got that covered.

Thanks, no need to send royalties. I'll gladly contribute to the advancement of "man"kind....

seriously, some kind of steam or gasification OWB that would merrit running the system year round. Not only in winter for heat. I'm all for creating a bigger wood burning market

A reasonably priced chainsaw dynomometer. I actually would like to build one of these myself.

Here is one that is a bit out there. With bugs like the emerald ash bore becoming more common, it becomes important to make sure they don't hitch hike via firewood. Which means sterilizing firewood that may be transported to different places. So What I am getting at is a solar powered firewood sterilizer. Or at the least the use of solar power to cut down the amount of other fuel needed to keep the wood at 71c for 75 minutes to kill off the bugs.

This covers your heating systems. alternative energy, Pretty sure there will be some controllers in there and programmable logic controllers in there also. Thought if you want to run into a bit more logic you can look at using it to season firewood faster once the sterilization process has been done. At that point you are looking at temperature and humidity differential between inside and outside. Along with rate of change of both of those and solar output. To figure out when and how much to open vents and regulate fans.

here is a paper i ran across on heat sterilization of firewood. You should be able to get it for free through the library would be my guess.

Heat sterilization of ash (Fraxinus spp.) firewood: Heat-treating options, temperature monitoring and thermal verification - Wood Material Science and Engineering

Good luck with you ME project. I'm glad i'm not the only one working on there ME senior design this spring.

Ive been dreaming of a self sufficient outdoor wood boiler. Capable of generating (at least) enough electricity to run its own pumps and fans. Unfortunately I haven't had the time or resources to experiment.

I like the idea of the producer gas generator (wood gas generator) but I think when the fans turn on the mixture would lean out and stall the engine. (Maybe a gas reservoir of some sort).

I have also recently learned of Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) Power Turbines. Basically a waste heat steam turbine but I have not been able to find a small scale unit that would fit this application. Just large commercial units.

This is why Ill never get rich, I always give away my ideas! Ha ha!

Well, I’m sure you could come up with several solutions, but here's a problem I have that I intend to solve soon with some know how I have from the same education you are finishing up.

The only real issue I have with my OWB setup is when the power goes out. Back when I had a good old' indoor stove, if we lost power in the winter, who cared. The indoor stove kept us warm we lit a few oil lamps for light and were good to go for days on end. Now, if I the power goes out, I have to drag out the generator, hook everything up, go out to re-set the stove.... it’s a bit of a hassle. I realize I should be thankful that I have a generator to use, but it is a bit of a pain to fuel the damn thing up every 6 hours. And even if I wanted to, I couldn't just say screw it and stay somewhere else, because the boiler would freeze and I would be out a lot of money.

I am considering designing a self-charging battery backup system for it this summer. Something that can draw enough power from the heat of the chimney to charge the batteries, run the blower and power the pump intermittently. I currently have two thoughts for the power generation, but I haven’t researched either enough to have yet decided on one, or maybe even both.
1. Sterling engine. I haven’t seen any ready built that could drive much, but I have seen plans for bigger ones. I guess the key to power and speed for these things is the temperature differential. 20 deg outside air vs. 400 plus stack air seems like a pretty big difference to me. Could power either a few alternators or a small dc generator, would depend on horse power you ended up with. If you have access to cnc equipment, you could surely make a decent sized one in two months....
2. There are plates that can convert heat energy directly into dc. I don't remember the exact name, but I know Jameco sells them. Again, temperature differential is the key.

not only would you have to design the power source, but a system to monitor the battery charge, cycling the pump when needed, voltage control....

I know it can be done, and I am planning to make the attempt over the next few years. My goal is to end up with the ability to power the OWB and the furnace blower from a single battery source and draw enough power from the wood burning in the stove to power these operations and charge the battery when it gets low.

Let me know what you think.

I think that is an excellent idea, and a problem that needs to be solved in some fashion.

Back