Help finding a Baumann Horsechestnut tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph Slate

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help me on my quest.

I have a great horsechestnut tree on my property. It's probably at least 50 years old, maybe even older. I love the way that it blooms in the spring -- the blossoms are like popcorn. I also like the way that the tree is tall but narrow -- it's really an ideal tree in my opinion.

I believe it's a Baumann Horsechestnut because there are no actual nuts that fall from the tree. I've only lived in the house for a year, so I don't know if this particular tree is just past its nut-bearing years or what, but I haven't seen anything even remotely resembling a horsechestnut nut. Is it possible that this tree originally bore nuts but now is sterile?

I'd like to plant another of these trees in my front yard. I've tried calling several nurseries in my area looking for one, but the reply is always the same -- "no, we don't have any of those". I'm actually a little surprised at how gruffly I've been treated, no one even will give me any advice on getting one.

My first question would be, if this particular variety of tree (hte Baumann) has no seeds, then how can more be grown? Are all individual trees created using a bud graft method?

My next question would be, can anyone point me to a nursery that has this tree available, preferably in New England. And if not in New England, to a nursery that ships?

Thanks for the help!

Ralph Slate
Springfield, MA

Aesculus hippocastanum 'Baumannii' -
Rather impressive form that has double white flowers. The double flowers last longer than single flowers and do not produce fruit. No fruit litter mess and therefore a good improvement over the species.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/a/aeship/aeship1.html

They may be grafted or not, they are natural clones of a single tree found over 100 years ago.

Something about the floweres makes them steril, can't remember what.

I did a quick search and found no nurseries advertising this on the web. I have heard that is out there, call some of the more upscale landscape install types.

They may be grafted or not, they are natural clones of a single tree found over 100 years ago.

That's interesting. Do you think it's possible that these trees can go sterile over time? I'm going to try and talk to a previous owner about the tree to see if it ever released nuts, but the one we have hasn't dropped anything in the year that we've owned the house.

Ralph

Baumanii are steril, There were some brought into a milwaukee art center a long time ago because they woulkd not drop seeds onto pedestrians.

I have not run into many of them, but never saw a nut on one.

Back