Help! Homelite VI Super 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snert67

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post, so I gotta say that it's been a real joy over the last few months perusing the forums and soaking in the accumulated knowledge and "spirit" discussions that break out from time to time. Now it's my turn to speak up and lean on the guys and gals with Homelite saw experience to clear up a question I have.

Here's my story in brief...

I used to have *the* best saw in the world! Namely the one in my neighbor's shed. :D

Unfortunately my neighbor's saw (and consequently my neighbor) moved out of state and I found myself in need of a saw for general cleanup around the property. One of my coworkers had a Homelite VI Super 2 (UT-10563a) sitting in his shed for almost 20 years and now it's sitting in my garage and not *quite* working.

I'm not a big DYIer when it comes to small engine/saw repair, but I figured I'd take a stab at reviving the saw. I cracked the case and put in a new diaphragm and eagerly reassembled the saw to see if my efforts were in vain. It ran, but gas was pouring out of the case! I took it back apart to discover a hole in the fuel tank. :bang:

Well, after digging around on the forums again (forum search is my friend!) I discovered/realized the hole was the vent for the fuel tank. Most of the other 2-cycle equipment I've used had a vented cap. So, referencing the IPL I found online, I've figured out I need a new duckbill check valve.

Which brings me (finally) to my question...

The IPL references the duckbill valve (p/n 69451). Right next to it on the hard-to-read copy of the IPL is a check valve connector tube (p/n 69659B). I *get* the check valve (plug the hole and keep the gas in). I'm just not really clear on where the connector tube fits into the equation. What the heck does it do!?

I'm really hoping all I need to do is install the check valve and be back up and running. Any help is appreciated!

Ah... got it! I was reading the oil tank section instead of the fuel tank section. :newbie:

Many thanks.

I would take a look at the check valves inside the oil tank while you're at it. If those are damaged or missing, the saw won't oil properly or at all.

connector tube

If the fuel check valve is gone the oil one is probably gone as well, at least in the bottom of the oil tank. The connector looks like a piece of poroze bronze about 1/8 in diameter and 1/4 inch long, really easy to miss in the crud in the bottom of the oil tank. They are hard to find in the oil tank and hard to find as replacement part, plus pricey when you can find them so take special care when you clean out the oil tank.

The connector tube in the oil tank is porous so the pressure can bleed off after the engine is stopped. Without the porous connector, the oil tank will remain under pressure and oil will seep out.

Dan

I was so focused on the fuel problem I hadn't even looked at the oil tank. I finally did last night and the checkvalve in the oil tank resembled tar more than it did a checkvalve. I'll definitely be adding a 2nd valve and connector to my parts list.

Thanks again all!

Wanted to take a second and say thanks to everyone for their advice and assistance with my saw project!

I did finally find the connector and check valves I needed and assembled the saw. It runs, but...

1) I'm getting raw fuel out the exhaust. No adjustments I can make to the carb seems to make a difference.

2) Despite the connector and valve replacement in the oil tank, it's not oiling.

Even though it was a freebie, I find myself with $70 and a lot of time in this saw and, honestly, I give up. At this point it's just good time/money after bad. :bang:

Time to do what I should have done in the first place. Get a new one!

Wanted to take a second and say thanks to everyone for their advice and assistance with my saw project!

I did finally find the connector and check valves I needed and assembled the saw. It runs, but...

1) I'm getting raw fuel out the exhaust. No adjustments I can make to the carb seems to make a difference.

2) Despite the connector and valve replacement in the oil tank, it's not oiling.

Even though it was a freebie, I find myself with $70 and a lot of time in this saw and, honestly, I give up. At this point it's just good time/money after bad. :bang:

Time to do what I should have done in the first place. Get a new one!
how about a parts saw that way it wont cost anything extra can probily take one and make another work ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back