Help ID this tree. Bat pollinated?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAM308

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me information on what this tree is and how to care for it. I saved it from my neighbors greenhouse that was being bulldozed. I've had it for 7 years growing as you see in full sun. It is about 6' tall, base of trunk is a ball, has stripes, just flowered a few months back and now has one pod growing (you can see it in the middle of the pic), When they open, they are like cotton. I was told by the Los Angeles Arboretum that it may be bat pollinated but they weren't sure nor could they find info on the tree. I've attached a photo and appreciate any help I receive. Thanks, Joe.

It might be a Sausage Tree? Kigelia africana , they get big pods that hang from string like things and open at night for the bats to pollinate them, red inside.
I just happened to read about this tree this morning in one of my books, might be it, the picture I have is not that great but the leaves look similar. Try a search for a pic. of it.

I've looked at several pics of a Sausage Tree and it's not it. The Baobab looks similar but I can't find a pic of one to compare sizewise.
When the flower opens, they are white. The skins roll back then droop and fall to the ground. I wish I could give a description using proper terms but I am only an amature at best. Thanks again for the help.

Point Brett!

Manilkara_zapota.jpg

man-za-1.jpg

There was one flower pic, but the server where it is was not answering

http://images.google.com/images?q=Manilkara+zapota&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en

Latest posts

Back