Help ID tree with problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clskier

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of tree this is. It used to flower in the spring, but not for the past three years. Last fall it developed black curly growths on several branches. I trimmed all branches with visible growth above the growth.

This spring it seemed healthy, still no flowers though. Now all the lowest branches have holes throughout the leaves. I do not see any visible insects on the leaves. We do have Javanese Beetles in the area, but I haven't seen any yet, and the Lindens (their favorite food) are untouched.

See attached photos for more clues.

View attachment 238425
View attachment 238426
View attachment 238427
View attachment 238428

Please help me identify the culprit.

Thanks

Purple leaf plum tree (?) infected with black knot disease. Not sure about the insect feeding. It certainly looks like Jap-beetles but it would be awfully early for them to be showing up.

purple leaf thing

If it has black knot fungus then it's a Subert Chokecherry or Canadian Red Cherry (samething) so in other words a common chokecherry with purple leaves-I think they found them orginally in North Dakota way back and then pushed them on the market. You can prune out the growth and then spray a lime sulfur mix to help control it. Find out what the timing of the application in your area from a local expert. You will need to do it several years to get any contorl of it.. Don't worry about the holes in the leaves most trees have issues with this and it's not worth treating it. It's when the tree gets the defoilated several times in a row is when we deal with the problem

Everyone run away from the attack of the killer "Javanese Beetles". I hate those little flying bastards.

It is a Subert cherry with early bud stage frost damage. Nothing to worry about, other than the "Javanese Beetles".

Latest posts

Back