help identifying a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsm801

Reaction score
Hello crew, long time reader and new member.
I recently got some land that has a lot of trees, so I need to start some small scale clearing of small trees and some trimming of trees.
Ive been in the market for a used chainsaw for a while now and am always a little too late on the good deals.
I dont have a lot of money to spend on a saw, so I have been looking for cheap saws since I am able to work on small engines.
I came across this old Stihl, and the seller doesnt have much info on it other than it ran last year, and needs carb cleaning or repair. The seller can only find the 311y info and told me that is the model, but that is not a stihl model.
There is one picture that doesnt show any details, but I figured someone here might know what saw it could be.

I would also like to know if you think $40 is a good deal.

Thanks for your time folks and hopefully i can contribute more here now that i will be joining in on some tree work.

Here is the one pic the seller has. It has a 14" bar

stihl.jpg

Hey Thanks Bob, that was quick!

is it safe to say $40 is a good deal for it?

The 009/011/012 is not exactly the easiest chainsaw to work on, especially if it needs a new top end and/or crankshaft bearings and seals. Checking the piston for scoring through the usual means (pulling the silencer) requires quite a bit more work than usual, so be wary if it's a no or poor runner.

If you just want a project that will keep you busy, go ahead and buy it. Offer $30 if it doesn't run: at most you can always break it up for parts and get even or even slightly ahead.
But if you want a cheap saw to fix quickly to use it, be wary.

great info guys. just what i was looking for.
I dont want a 100% project, but some work i dont mind. hah.
I will make sure to give it a good look over and try and diagnose it before i buy it. Maybe ill just throw him a low offer to take all 3 of those saws. hah.

This model typically sells for about $100 in running condition. Could be more depending on regional differences.
If the bar is in good condition, it would be worth $40. You could always part it out and get your money back if it turns out to be junk.
They have pretty good power for their small size. I owned and used one for several years.
The Stihl 1120 family contains the 009, 009L, 010, 011 and 012. There's a lot of interchangeability between the different models so parts are pretty available.

Back