Help me pick a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseHeather

Reaction score
I am buying a new house out here in Southern CA and need to figure out what type of mature tree to plant in our yard to provide shade, green color, low maintenance heat tolerant...it gets very hot out here in Santa Clarita!! Any ideas?? I'm planning a tropical garden with palms and the such, but we need 1 large shade tree to keep some of the heat off of our home.

PS I like large very green leaves (preferably ones that stay on the tree!!)

But take into concideration that university studies have shown that a 1 inch caliper tree will eventualy over take a 4 inch caliper tree if botha are planted properly in same site conditions.

This is because the larger tree has to replace a much large root mass an has a much larger static mass the the smaller tree. Small trees are near 100% photosynthetic. There bark is thin enough that all the surface is energy producing, where the older trees are supporting more structural material and have thicker protective bark.

SO if you cannot buy a tree that will cover a large portion of the roof in shade, buying a big tree for energy conservation now is a false economy. Get the samll one, plant it properly and train it to the site.

Planting small has other benefits as well. I costs less and is easier to handle..plus..plus..plus

Buy a good quality 1-inch caliper tree and it will establish before your 3-iinch caliper tree.

Back