help. my stihl's ihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimllshiftit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi.

a very helpful chap in another forum has advised me you might be able to help.

my stihl fs76 trimmer is a pig to get started but runs ok when its finally running and then has a bit of a splutter and conks out.

ive removed the barrel a decoked the combustion chamber and piston and ive ordered new piston rings for good measure.

the other guy suggested that i should rebuild the carb and make sure its set up correctly.

the problem is that i dont know how to make sure its set up right at the moment or whether he's right to suggest the rebuild.

can anyone talk me through a check up?

thanks,

jim.

running problems

This could be a number of things wrong with the engine.

Carb diafram split, make it bad to start anytime really.

Crank seals, not sealing, conks out under high revs.

Blown rings, lack of compression, but this doesn't sound likely, as it would be hard to start from cold.

Weak ignition coil, conks out one it gets hot, quite common fauly in some makes.

A quick check as soon as it stops, have a spare plug ready, don't bother taking the old one out, just connect to the spare straight away and check for a spark, should be a bright blue one.

If plug is wet, this means the fuel is getting through, and points to the spark again.

Try these out and holler if it don't work out.

Raily.

ihl stihl

ill be able to do further test next week when the new rings and gasket get here.

the carb diaframs an interesting point - ill check that tomorrow.

would it be crank seals if the machine runs fine at high revs for a long while and then cuts out?

the machine is very hard to start from cold but we'll see what effect new rings has next week.

its also a pig to start when hot so i might need a coil too.

oh yeah, is there an easy way of getting the barrel over the new rings? i havent got any tools fine enough to pinch the rings in while i slip the barrel on.

is it still worth making any more checks on the carb as the machine runs pretty well as soon as it warms up? and is there a gap setting for the coil?

thanks you for entertaining an amateur. maybe one day i too will be as knowledgable as you.

Back