Help!! New MS310 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9ninjas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My friend just brought over his brand new MS310 for me to look at. We unpacked it, (he bought it from the dealer late a couple of nights ago and so the dealer didn't run it), gassed it up, checked the compression before attempting to start it.
The compression read about 135 cold which is all right because we are at about 5600 ft. So, we choked it and it never would pop. We pulled the plug and it wa kinda dark (I guess from it being run on the test bench at the factory), so we put a new plug in it and checked the spark before we screwed the plug in and the spark was good both by feeling it and being able to see the spark in a darkened garage. We checked the carb screw settings and they were at the recommended levels of 1/4 out for the low and 3/4 out for the hi. We tried full choke, half choke and no choke and did a lot of cranking but never could get it to pop. The gas was freshly mixed hi test he just got today. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Ok, I'll get this first one out of the way. Dealer shoulda started it, made sure the buyer knew how also. He needs to go back to the dealer. Not badmouthing the dealer; could be your friend was fine with getting on home. But starting it up woulda taken a couple minutes, even late as it was, and maybe prevented a frustrated customer.

Second, the book probably says to place the control in the choke position, then pull starter several times til you get the pop. My Stihl books all do. It usually works like a champ. However, sometimes with my saws, it works better to choke it, pull it thru a couple times, then go ahead and flip the control on up to the next position and pull a couple more times even though you never got the pop from the choke position. Mine always start if they have been reluctant with the recommended procedure.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll get this first one out of the way. Dealer shoulda started it, made sure the buyer knew how also. He needs to go back to the dealer. Not badmouthing the dealer; could be your friend was fine with getting on home. But starting it up woulda taken a couple minutes, even late as it was, and maybe prevented a frustrated customer.

Second, the book probably says to place the control in the choke position, then pull starter several times til you get the pop. My Stihl books all do. It usually works like a champ. However, sometimes with my saws, it works better to choke it, pull it thru a couple times, then go ahead and flip the control on up to the next position and pull a couple more times even though you never got the pop from the choke position. Mine always start if they have been reluctant with the recommended procedure.
You've got it nailed:new saw,full choke, pull and pull and now it's flooded.After sitting overnight,it will probably fire up without choking.If not, pull the plug and spin it over about a dozen times,replace the plug and start it up.

OK, I will tell him to let it sit overnight with the plug out and then try it in the morning with no choke (the notch above choke) and see if it will pop. If not, then he can try it with choke. If still no pop, then he can try holding the throttle wide open and see if he can get a pop. If all this fails, then he will have to take it back to the dealer.

I wouldn't do that. I would go straight back to the dealer and tell him to start it and you observe that. My dealer won't let a saw go out the door until he starts it in front of the customer.

OK, I will tell him to let it sit overnight with the plug out and then try it in the morning with no choke (the notch above choke) and see if it will pop. If not, then he can try it with choke. If still no pop, then he can try holding the throttle wide open and see if he can get a pop. If all this fails, then he will have to take it back to the dealer.

Don't really know your situation,but if it's 100 mile round trip to the dealer then I'd stay home.If he's just down the street,take it back.

Latest posts

Back