Help on big old homelite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanesaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys I got my new baby. Its a homelite model 9-26 100cc gear drive monster. It runs great, however I need a new muffler and am just lookin to get some extra info on these saws and leads on parts. I believe the muffler from a 900, 909, or 990 will fit, correct me if I'm wrong. also wheres the best connection for half inch pitch chain. I'll post some pics of him sometime this week on this thread. I milled with it last friday with pretty good results, theres deffinately enough power. He's a beast.

Search old posts here on Arbo site, there is an old dealer or two that might still have parts, but hasn't seen your post yet. You know, some of those old homies' mufflers were little more than a box with a screen...not much resistance, not much noise reduction.

1/2" chain? That hasn't been easy to find for a long time, especially if you're looking for chisel chain. Chisel is pretty much all snarffed up, mostly by hotsaw racers.

I can't imagine using an old gear-drive and chipper chain to mill lumber with.

thanx guys for the info. I'm tempted to use it without the muffler, I CANNOT use it as is, it's broken on the bottom side and pushes the exhaust on to the motor and the gear box, causes way to much heat for milling. Eyolf you are right even original that muffler didnt hold much back, think I would damage it using it without one?

The 9-23 & 9-26 did not have a traditional muffler...only a Muffler Cap P/N 56691A.
The 900, 909 & 990 series were the only others to use that P/N.

Hey thanx Bill, thats what I thought. I just ended up fixing the existing muffler, we'll see how well jb weld holds up to high temps, and if it doesnt......................well........
hmmmmmmmm

Back