Help on Silvey RS2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmarksolomon

Timber Junkie
Reaction score
Need a little help, I just bought a used RS2 and i'm having trouble setting it up. main problem is i'm hitting the tie strap and can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust to clear it, it is a used disc about half life, and it does look like the dressers have been moved but they still dress a clean corner, maybe that's the problem the top dresser is not steep enough and I'm dressing to wide of a face on the stone, I have used them before but if never set one up on my own. And yes i feel like a retard:msp_tongue: any help would be truly appreciated.

Stay Frosty,
madmarksolomon

You are running the chain too far forward.

Undo the top bolt and move the slide assembly away from the wheel a little bit.

This will give you less interior angle on the side but maybe get you away from the strap. The point will last longer?

You may have to readjust your top wheel dressing angle a little steeper so the top interior angle will match the interior vertical angle on the chain.

The exterior vertical angle is controlled by the angle of the side dress on the wheel.

Follow the examples in Madsen's brochure for the proper chain angles.

Be careful with moving things as they may effect something that you didn't want to change?

Move only one thing at a time! Then see what happens on the chain?

Have a angle finder handy.

Th end result on the chain is what's important.

I kiss the straps on all the chains I grind with the RS II. I like those angles and would rather have a nick in the strap then to change it all up. When I file I hit the straps about the same. I've not broken a chain yet even running them on 3120s.

(Lurking in this thread just to learn - I have a project RS II that I will not get to until later in the summer.)

But I have to comment on mdavlee's post. Imagine him sending his chains off to be sharpened, "You keep those angles just as they are, and if you can't adjust your grinder correctly, well, then you can kiss my straps!"

Philbert

Thanks for the info it was a couple of things, I think the major one was the top angle dresser was to steep which made to wide of a face on the stone thank you all for the info.

If you need more help or pictures I may be able to get some.

Once I finally got grinder exactly where I wanted it I labeled everything.
The top and side plate dressers angles, wheel height on arbor and carriage position leading or trailing wheel diameter Etc.
I did this as an insurance policy to get too the exact geometry I prefer without going through the hassle again.
I would recommend experimenting a little in the beginning to find the cutter geometry/relief angle that suits you best.
Speed vs Durability. You got a great grinder there...Have some fun with it!:D
View attachment 297248

Here you go. Top dresser is 20° and side is 15° with the chain holders on 23°.

thanks for the pics. Thats a really good idea for labeling everything I'm going to do that. and the pics it looks like I ended up real close to what you got. It did take awhile though. I can't beleve I waited 15 years to get a silvey chain grinder.

Try raising the wheel on the arbor. This will keep the tie straps safe.:msp_biggrin:

On a related topic:

Other than Silvey, anyone know where where I can get replacement bellows for a RSII?

Long shot - anyone have a spare bottom plate (guard that goes on under the wheel)? I suppose I can make one if I can't get it from Silvey - a used one would be preferred.

Thanks.

Philbert

I've never seen a safety plate on a swing arm or RS II except in the factory pictures

Here you go. Top dresser is 20° and side is 15° with the chain holders on 23°.

The chain holder is a perfect circle with the sides cut off so you could have a .050 and a .063 slot cut into the holder. The 23° tilt isn't whats really part of the total solution, its 23° from 0° on the holder your saying?

Back