help removing stuck rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all, i have a Mcculloch SP125 piston that was stored out in a barn for years and the rings are REALLY stuck in that little bugger. one side is free but the side that sat fully seated in the grooves are corroded in solid. have had the piston soaking in 10wt oil for about 7 days now, anything else i can do to get the rings out and keep them usable? if i had spares available i would just bust them out.

First, boil it in a very soapy solution. Then, rinse it well and put it into Deoxit. All the oxides will go away into the Deoxit solution and you rings should be free. I turned a ball or rust into a High Standard HD with this stuff. All I needed was springs.
John........

I've heard Classic Coca-cola was good freeing stuck pistons in old tractors. I can't say if it would harm the aluminum (is it an aluminum piston?), but I bet it'd eat the oxide right up. Be interesting to find out.

Chris B.

Several sources of new old stock.One is the most esteemed Mike Acres,Consolidated Equipment,Burnby BC.Another is Bob'S lawn mower,Maryland New York,Another is Fayetteville equipment repair,Fayetteville NY.All are members on this site.All are excellent people to deal with.I recomend all of them highly.The part number is 85608 .

Back