Freeing stuck rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the wrist pin is pressed in on the 3400 like many US made saws of the era. Make sure the LRB wrist pin fits properly or reuse your old one to avoid having the wrist pin move once you put it back together. I know the wrist pins they supply for McCulloch saws are way too loose and will literally fall out. More than a few saws have been wrecked by mobile wrist pins.

The 3400's are notoriously low for compression, even with a new piston and rings so don't expect it to make 150 PSI when you're done.

Mark

remove plug, set piston at top dead center, add 1oz of berrymans b12 chemtool through the plug hole and allow to sit 24 hrs. Rotate piston several times rinse and repeat step one..after a few days dump the chem tool out by pointing the muffler at the ground and rocking the saw to remove the excess from the crank case...suggest adding about 10 drops of oil on top of the piston and pulling it over a few times with the plug out before starting to re oil things.

There are several newer products that advertise removing black carbon in seconds from the bottom of cooking pans/ skillets, = instant carbon dissolving? I bought one, came with pellets and empty spray bottles, but have not tried it yet... was not cheap.

I'm pretty sure the wrist pin is pressed in on the 3400 like many US made saws of the era. Make sure the LRB wrist pin fits properly or reuse your old one to avoid having the wrist pin move once you put it back together. I know the wrist pins they supply for McCulloch saws are way too loose and will literally fall out. More than a few saws have been wrecked by mobile wrist pins.

The 3400's are notoriously low for compression, even with a new piston and rings so don't expect it to make 150 PSI when you're done.

Mark
That piston is chrome is it not?aluminum bore with aluminum piston?

There are several newer products that advertise removing black carbon in seconds from the bottom of cooking pans/ skillets, = instant carbon dissolving? I bought one, came with pellets and empty spray bottles, but have not tried it yet... was not cheap.
That is an interesting idea. I wonder how caustic it is? I know that oven cleaner I once used smelled very caustic 😆

That is an interesting idea. I wonder how caustic it is? I know that oven cleaner I once used smelled very caustic 😆
There are now oven cleaners that require no gloves that I use to clean circular saw blades of sap+, but ...?

Back